Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Paint & Primer in One Review

We are painting the food cart. It was last painted in Rustoleum Hammered Copper with Gloss Red Lettering on it. We bought some of the Behr Paint & Primer in One paint from Home Depot. I admit, we were skeptical. But one lightly rolled on coating covered the bright primary red lettering. You literally could not see where the letters were. Yes it costs more, but I have an extra coat that I don't have to paint plus an extra day of no painting. It's so hot and dry here that I can only paint in the AM when I get off from work (8AM). By 10AM everything gets too hot. So if you have been looking at this stuff and wondering... yes it does work.

Also painted unfinished cheap luaun plywood (signs). Two (foam roller) coats looks great (lightly sanded between coats... bugs) and one coat covered the dark woodgrain streaks in the plywood. This is most definitely the route I'm going to go to paint the interior walls (using luaun plywood same as sign plywood).

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Paint & Primer in One Review

Good to know. What colors will you be using inside? Just curious.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
Good to know. What colors will you be using inside? Just curious.
Okay, just remember you asked.....

Bus paint colours

All paint codes are from the ACE fan deck. I will get the colours matched. I just own the fan deck and it's easier to pick the colours that way.

Living Room -
Walls: Flagstaff B12-6
Cabinets: Turquoise Bay A37-4

Galley -
Walls: Honey Pot A21-3
Cabinets: Turquoise Bay A37-4
Full Height (18") Backsplash: Fasade 18 in. x 24 in. Traditional 4 Cracked Copper Backsplash

Countertop: Merola Tile Coppa Tan 12 in. x 12 in. Copper and Gold Glass Mesh-Mounted Mosaic Tile (MS International Treasure Trail Iridescent Mosaic 3/4 in. x 3/4 in. Glass Floor & Wall Tile (Store SKU #29168

Countertop edge trim: PVC "Wood" stained black (my appliances are black)
Sink: KOHLER Trieste Self-Rimming Cast Iron 43 in. x 22 in. x 8.5 in. 4 Hole Triple Bowl Kitchen Sink in White It was a freebie (who would spend over $900 for a kitchen sink?)

Water Closet (toilet/vanity) -
Vanity cabinet: Turquoise Bay A37-4
Sink: 6" deep 1/3 SS steamtable insert pan roughly 10" x 12-1/2" wide (we had extra from the food cart)
Countertop: White Corian
6" High Back & Side Splashes: White Corian
The Corian was a tear out from a remodel. We kept it and used part on the food cart and the remainder was barely enough to be a shallow (12" deep x 25" wide) vanity top.

"Dressing Area" consisting of Laundry/Clothes Closet/shower area & hall side of WC Wall -
cabinets: Honey Pot A21-3
Reason for all the yellow: This is a "dark" area with little natural light. The yellow will brighten things up and reflect the florescent lighting. Really needed in the dark dreary winters.

Bedroom -
Walls: Turquoise Bay A37-4
Cabinetry & Bed Frame: Honey Pot A21-3

All Flooring:
Armstrong Standard Excelon Imperial Texture 12 in. x 12 in. Cottage Tan Vinyl Composition Commercial Tiles (45 sq. ft./case)Store SKU #921394

All ceiling: Faux finished in Turquoise Bay A37-4, Rustoleum Hammered Copper & Rustoleum Gloss White

The exposed metal cove above the windows in the bedroom and the little bit exposed in the living room plus above the driver's seat will have a embossed faux leather material that I found at hobby Lobby. I think it will look good with my Victorian Beach Cottage theme I have planned.

Trim moldings will be added. Most will be PVC "wood" particularly in the shower (window trim). Some I will be casting from molds. I found a neat trim on a picture frame at Hobby Lobby that I like. That will be cast in resin and used to trim out the fluorescent lights that will run down the center of the aisle. I also need to cast a lot of copper coloured Victorian trim (only have to make one and make a mold of it). I think the resin will be lighter weight than wood and hold up better. I also will need to use molding to cover the riveted seams in the ceiling panels. I will be layering up moldings for a few years, like any good Victorian.

Exterior-
Body: ACE Rust Stop Turquoise Bay A37-4
Rub Rails: Rustoleum Hammered Copper & Rustoleum Hammered Black
Bumpers: Rustoleum Hammered Black

I will be casting a copper coloured resin mold of waves, seashells, starfish, dolphins & a lighthouse as a surround for the side body running/turn lights (Original two L/R above the front wheels plus I want to add the same over the rear wheels, for a total of 4 side body turn lights. I want folks to know when I'm changing lanes.)

I plan on casting Victorianized copper & translucent white resin covers for the overhead lights. Plus it looks like I will be casting the "Blue Bird" signage on the front of the bus. The paint is chipping off the "chromed" plastic (thanks to the hail storm). So that will most likely get "fancied" up a bit.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 36

Is that Behr Paint & Primer latex or oil based? Do you think it's better than the Rustoleum or about the same? One of these days I'm going to paint the outside of my bus which is currently silver Rustoleum with shiny red trim. Covering that in one coat would be awesome.

Do you have any pics of the inside of your bus? The whole inside, not close-ups of countertops and stuff!
Kathy WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

My bus is under construction and currently on hold until we get the food cart back on the street to sell ice cream (paint, paint, paint). The paint I am using is an exterior satin latex enamel. As for whether it is better than Rustoleum or not. That depends on what you are painting. The exterior of my metal bus is painted with ACE Hardware's Rust Stop (similar to Rustoleum but I could get it tinted in almost any colour I wanted) and Rustoleum Hammered paints. Rustoleum Hammered is in a class of it's own. I've never seen anything else like it. The original flat bed trailer part of the cart is still painted in Rustoleum Hammered Copper. It holds up to the damage and beating of road travel. We merely wiped on liquid deglosser and the rolled a light coat of pale yellow over the Rustoleum Hammered Copper. The light coat hide the red lettering. We rolled on 2 more coats. Yellow is translucent and I've had to use 3 or more coats of other brands.
As for the Behr
Quote:
Formulated to deliver outstanding coverage, BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior utilizes NanoGuard® technology to help provide a denser, harder, and more durable paint film. When dry, BEHR Premium Plus Ultra Interior forms an extra-protective shell that resists moisture, stains, and dirt, so it’s perfect for any room in the house. What’s more, all sheens resist penetration by common household stains and abrasions, so spills and marks are easier to wipe away. And, they feature advanced colorant technology, which offers superior ability to hide the surface that’s being painted.
Which all sounds pretty good. For more info from Behr gohere

I will put interior bus pics up in the gallery when it is mostly done. In other words, when my "base" is finished. Right now we live in a "metal tent" with a working toilet and vanity sink. Next project is to get the air chiller/heater installed and running. After that I want the shower in and the kitchen. I'm tired of trekking to the bathhouse and I would like to have counters when I cook (appliance are also in and running). I have everything laid out and kitchen cabinets set up in a cut list including the interior fittings. I'll be glad to get all those 4x4 sheets of pegboard (freebies) out of my way. They will be the bottoms of my galley drawers and rollout shelves (drawer peg system similar to the one Hafele has). I've worked out a system to build the cabinets that is based on the 32MM system but slightly modified. My plan is to put all the cabinet info, how to's, pictures and drawings into a PDF file and post it online when I'm finished. I've hunted all over and no one actually lays out how to build a swing out shelf in any width cabinet. I had to work out the math and I'm mathematically challenged (all my teachers told me so... but not so nicely).
Old 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Sounds like a very light and lively color scheme. Definitely beach house feel. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote