Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Paint prep- acetone is removing cured rustoleum paint!

I’m getting ready to paint my bus next week, and in the process I’ve hit a few spots with acetone. Some of those spots were places where I had previously applied rustoleum spray rust metal primer and and paint. Admittedly I just kind of sprayed without masking, so I painted some clean metal and some painted metal.

As I wipe down these spots with acetone, I’m seeing the top layer of rustoleum wipe right off, and if I keep going I can get the primer off too. Is this going to be a problem? Not sure what I should do here. I primed all of my window delete panels with rustoleum primer.

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Acetone eats paint, it shouldn't be used to clean a painted or primed area.
Isopropyl alcohol can be used if diluted to about 20%.
Purchase the 90% bottles and dilute at 4 parts distilled water, 1 part alcohol. That will bring it to around 18%. Will still evaporate leaving a residue free finish but not eat away at any existing paint or primer.
Old 05-20-2023, 05:21 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
Acetone eats paint, it shouldn't be used to clean a painted or primed area.
Isopropyl alcohol can be used if diluted to about 20%.
Purchase the 90% bottles and dilute at 4 parts distilled water, 1 part alcohol. That will bring it to around 18%. Will still evaporate leaving a residue free finish but not eat away at any existing paint or primer.
Thanks, that’s a great idea. I saw lots of people talking about acetone and it does work great but it’s not so great for non-factory paint or seam sealer.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Im in the terrible process of painting my bus. I have one more day of 4 for spraying. Tsp really took all the chalky paint and made it really solid base. The last thing I did after sanding was to wash with tsp.

Acetone even eats the urethane paint im using..I used spray bottle of alcohol most of the time and tack cloths to get any dust before painting.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:00 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fo4imtippin View Post
Im in the terrible process of painting my bus. I have one more day of 4 for spraying. Tsp really took all the chalky paint and made it really solid base. The last thing I did after sanding was to wash with tsp.

Acetone even eats the urethane paint im using..I used spray bottle of alcohol most of the time and tack cloths to get any dust before painting.
TSP, the white powdery stuff? I thought that was corrosive?
Old 05-21-2023, 08:15 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clouse House View Post
TSP, the white powdery stuff? I thought that was corrosive?

It says it is corrosive and can darken aluminum.. I used it to scrub and remove the loose paint, wasn't worried about discoloring any metal. It's not supposed to be used on glass, so when I scrubbed the roof, my wife rinsed the windows with a hose. It wasn't soaking for hours, whole thing took under an hour with a deck brush and pressure washer.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Ok so I could only find 70% alcohol, I tried about 1 part alcohol to 3 parts distilled water today but it didn’t really flash off very quickly. Going to play with higher alcohol content tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:06 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
so when i painted my superior.. (it already had 4 BAD coats of paint on it from previous owners)...

I first washed it down with dawn powerwash.. rinse and then wipe down.. section at a time..

I then lightly sanded with 220 grit the old paint to rough the finish up..
then I wiped the area down with mineral spirits..

then I used a small touch up roller and rolled on straight rustoleum professional oil based enamel (come in a silver can).. I typically picked the middle of the day (bus in the shade) as thats when I have the least amount of bugs. (bugs hate sun so even in my shady area they stayed away till late afternoon / evening).. the paint skinned over within a couple hours.. it coated with one coat... I painted section by section of the bus from the top down.. that was 2 years ago and that paint is very durable... plus being stock color its easy to touch up if I do ding it up
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote