Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2019, 04:43 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Sweet. Like those colors a lot! You can always re-do the grill later if you decide. Seems like light colors and bugs would be a bad mix.

This is a photo-chop of what we hope our bus will end up looking like. Same thing, I think the mirrors, grill, & bumper would look great in white, but only until we started moving.
Its REALLY hard to beat green and white!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
LOL. I've knew from previous posts you'd be down w/ that color scheme, ECCB

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
That’s a good looking bus
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
Slytherin colors.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #25
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
I am planning to use exterior house paint. Next month I am going to test out the possible colors. When I pick out the color and when the weather is warm enough I will use a high velocity paint sprayer to apply the color overall. I plan to use Henry Tropicool on the top and roll that on. I like the idea of constructing a temporary tent to contain the overspray and slow down dust and bugs. Thank you for sharing that idea.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 66
Its per activated gallon, which means 2 quarts paint and 2 quarts activater gives you a full sprayable gallon.

remember to let stand between coats, at least 10 to 15 minutes, I was an auto motive refinisher for 17 years and have sprayed just about every kind to 2 part paint most are polyurethane paints

Cheers
Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Smile

Coverage will also depend on the base coat, if its uniform (base coat one solid color) top coat will cover better if its not you may have to apply more topcoats to hide any spots you can see still through the topcoat remember outside lighting is stronger then anything you have indoors with a foggy overspray atmosphere, meaning you may not see though the topcoat inside but will see through it outside so best bet is to have a bright trouble light and do a walk around before you decide its covered or your done
Old 12-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

If using exterior house paint make sure its for application over metal surfaces or the primer your using is, as most house paint will not adhere to metal unless its primed properly, every see a metal clad building with house paint over the original surface and how badly it peels off ( get the picture?)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budbrother View Post
If using exterior house paint make sure its for application over metal surfaces or the primer your using is, as most house paint will not adhere to metal unless its primed properly, every see a metal clad building with house paint over the original surface and how badly it peels off ( get the picture?)
Yeah, I’ve applied a lot of house paint. I wouldn’t do it to metal. There are implement paints and paint for metal boats that are going to adhere better and look better longer. It’s so much work to prep for paint it only makes sense to use paint meant for the job.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:34 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Good choice, boat paint would work great I know that Cloverdale sells an excellent polyurethane A&B component (1 to1) paint that adheres to metal surfaces even bare metal as long as it is etched. and the cost is very reasonable and coverage is great they use it on cement mixer tanks and can chip the concrete off without chipping the paint, thats the wow factor. I just painted a 68 SS Camaro in Candy Apple Red in this stuff and was really impressed with the gloss and coverage. Good Luck on your project and keep us posted

Cheers Robin
Old 12-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Good to hear about the Imron. I've heard really good things about it, & I know it's popular on the bicycle scene. Some guys on the airstream forums were raving about it as well. I can get great industrial paint for the same price of non-so-great auto paint. No place to spray. I've considered renting an area, but then I still have to worry about PPE, & frankly I'm not comfy spraying this stuff in an enclosed area w/ just a filter mask. We can roll here together, plus we have family that are willing to pitch in. I appreciate the advice on the rollers. If we do roll - which is highly likely at this point - I'm going to order some extra white to practice with on some of the interior panels we've removed before we do it 'for real'. I am a little concerned about the rivets though. Any tips?

Edit, sorry, wrong post, going to bed now
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:12 PM   #32
Bus Geek

I Painted My Bus

I sprayed 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of color. Used 5 quarts of epoxy primer and 1 gallon of single stage color.
Attached Thumbnails
CE75649B-058B-468D-A488-77B2F58EF194.jpeg  
Old 01-03-2020, 11:19 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
I am going to paint my bus next spring or summer, I decided on using rollers. I talked to the guys at the paint store and they connived me on using a good primer. I can't remember the amount they told me. They have been good in the past about estimating amounts. I am sure a roller will use more but I don't want to deal with a sprayer and the type of masking it takes to prep for one.

I am going to do mine outside in the woods. I am going to hopefully wait until the ground is moist and their is no wind(fingers crossed). If it gets some dust or pine needles,, it is a 84 school bus, lol. I am mostly concerned about a good coat of paint sticking.

The prep is going to be big.. I will probably try to do it in a couple of stages. Deep clean, more clean, scuff and sand. Big job.. but it will be nice I am sick of looking at yellow.

Sorry I can't help you with the paint estimate. The guys at your local auto body supply or paint store might have some good insights.

i am sure you know the bugs go crazy as soon as it starts warming up. A lot of areas have a lot of rain in the spring. Years ago everyone that painted outside used lacquer because of the quick dry and easy run repair, but now lacquer is not so cheap and hard to find because of the VOC content I think. What ever you use outside should be quick dry and easy to fix goof ups.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:22 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I sprayed 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of color. Used 5 quarts of epoxy primer and 1 gallon of single stage color.

Looks great from the pic, Danjo!

Are you happy with the results up close & personal?

When you doing the trim?

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote