Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 04:48 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Fairy View Post
Booyah45828, thanks for the primer link!!

EastCoastCB, thanks for your info too! What hardener do you use with your Rustoleum paint? Are you also using the Rustoleum Professional series Enamel paint like Booyah45828 and oredigger?

Thanks!
There's a catalyst hardener available at Tractor Supply that works with oil based enamels.
I use the $24 gallons of Rusto.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
I used Majic Catalyst Hardener. Added it to Glossy White Rustoleum for my roof. Found it at Tractor Supply
Old 06-21-2018, 05:44 AM   #23
Almost There

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800 Carpenter
Engine: DT360 / AT545
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
This is the hardener I used. Looking at it now, seems kinda pricey. Maybe the tractor supply one is less.

https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-4625-.../dp/B000LNY1MY
oredigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #24
Bus Geek

A little goes a long way.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #25
Bus Nut

About the same price. The Majic said to mix the whole thing into a gallon of paint.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 AM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I used the professional series as well. Not sure on the difference really, I just assumed it was better quality.

And I used this as the primer. https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-metal-primer/
When using this primer, are you guys priming the whole bus or just the rusty spots?

We're trying to figure out the fastest way to do the exterior but still want to do a nice job. There's been a change in plans after weighing the cost of titling the vehicle as a passenger bus during conversion ($609/year) plus me taking my CDL (written and driving tests approx. $250), etc. Rather than cranking out what will suffice as a Motor Home IN ONE MONTH (eek!) just to get it titled as such and then keep working/adding to it and making it what I want.

I'm using the suggestions you guys made... wash bus, acetone/sand bus, use this Primer, then the Rustoleum Professional High Performance Protective Enamel with a hardener in it.

With the Rustoleum paint mentioned, thinking of the "Aluminum" color... Would this cover the black school stripe? How is the coverage with this stuff?
Thanks and have a terrific day!
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Wash the the bus with TSP.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I primed the entire bus.

I'm not sure why they call is rusty metal primer. To my knowledge, it doesn't have a converter in it to convert the rust to raw steel again. And any primer or paint that I've ever tried to apply to rust has always flaked off. So solve the rust issues before you paint.

I used the aluminum flavor as well.

Seemed to cover the black alright.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: International T 444E
Rated Cap: 71 pass., 12 window
Oooh...pretty! You painted over your flashers. That's a thought. I was kinda debating what to do with them.

Thanks for the hardener info guys!

Nick, TSP is pretty strong stuff. What are your thoughts on liquid sandpaper? Although, that's a chemical too, so I suppose it's just whatever does the job.

I have to ask... Why are some people thinning their paint with acetone? I want the best coverage possible so I'm not understanding the strategy of thinning it. I must be missing something here.
Trail Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
The flashers have a large hole behind them. If I was going to remove them, the right way to do it (IMHO) is to weld steel plate in place of it, fill with bondo, sand it flat, then primer and paint. I also would have removed the steel covers above the flashers and that all equaled more work to an already quickly approaching deadline. So, I opted to paint over them. It looks good enough for me.

As far as thinning with acetone went, Rustoleum is really thick paint, and I knew it wasn't going to spray worth a crap if I tried to spray it straight.

I thinned it to what I thought was the right thickness with and acetone/paint thinner mix. Then I varied the acetone/paint thinner mix in order to get the dry time right. Too much thinner and it wanted to run too easily, too much acetone and we created a fog of paint. It was a balance that we played with all day long as the temp/weather changed.

I used an hvlp spray gun, and those things are finicky about paint mixes.

You can try one of the airless paint sprayers without thinning it and see how that turns out. I just used what I had and made it work.

Rolling it on? I think I would still use acetone just so the coats aren't as thick and the dry time between coats is shorter.

I'd rather apply 2 thin coats than 1 thick one. That way you can hit thin spots more and thick spots less the 2nd time around. You seem to have less runs that way as well. These are just my thoughts.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Oooh...pretty! You painted over your flashers. That's a thought. I was kinda debating what to do with them.

Thanks for the hardener info guys!

Nick, TSP is pretty strong stuff. What are your thoughts on liquid sandpaper? Although, that's a chemical too, so I suppose it's just whatever does the job.

I have to ask... Why are some people thinning their paint with acetone? I want the best coverage possible so I'm not understanding the strategy of thinning it. I must be missing something here.
I have no thoughts on liquid sandpaper at the moment. I just heard about it the other day and haven't had a chance to research or use it. Sherwin Williams had some TSP without the P (so just TS, I dunno). I did my roof with TSP and managed to kill all the weeds around my bus at the same time!

If you use Rustoleum, the can tells you the amount and type of thinner to use. I'll be adding another gallon or two of white to the roof before I am done. I will be doing the body with single stage automotive paint from tcpglobal.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: BlueBird
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 66
How I painted

How I painted my 66 passenger bus.

Washed
Removed every sticker
Used the Whizzy Wheel (Amazing!)
Power washed it again.
Then scratched it with this Abrasive Pad
Power washed it again
Let dry
Wiped it down with paint thinner
Taped everything off
Bought this paint. X-O Rust
Rust-Preventative Paint & Primer

Added this Hardener. One per gallon.
I bought 3 gallons of paint and one gallon of clear.

When you add the hardeners painting can get dangerous. Please educate yourself.

I used this paint gun and it gave an amazing finish.

I used two compressors and two generators because I painted it in a field and put them on a little trailer that I pulled around the bus as we moved.

I painted two coats of white/gray. Then painted one coat of the black brushed on. It is the worst looking. The white looks professional. Then one coat of clear. All of them had hardener in them.

Make sure you start in a corner and keep a wet edge. ESPECIALLY with the clear. What I found out is, when I got the clear too thick it flaked on the black 6 months later. Not the white for some reason.

Also, make sure you get your tape off quickly. Don't let the paint dry overnight. Otherwise, you will be touching it up where you pulled off paint.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1097.jpg   IMG_1111.jpg   IMG_1112.jpg  
Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
When using this primer, are you guys priming the whole bus or just the rusty spots?

We're trying to figure out the fastest way to do the exterior but still want to do a nice job. There's been a change in plans after weighing the cost of titling the vehicle as a passenger bus during conversion ($609/year) plus me taking my CDL (written and driving tests approx. $250), etc. Rather than cranking out what will suffice as a Motor Home IN ONE MONTH (eek!) just to get it titled as such and then keep working/adding to it and making it what I want.

I'm using the suggestions you guys made... wash bus, acetone/sand bus, use this Primer, then the Rustoleum Professional High Performance Protective Enamel with a hardener in it.

With the Rustoleum paint mentioned, thinking of the "Aluminum" color... Would this cover the black school stripe? How is the coverage with this stuff?
If you get your policy on a payment plan you don't need to pay the whole year if you're only needing it for 3 months or so. Why is it you're getting a CDL?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:27 PM   #34

Good Call

Our last bus had a grainy texture on the roof that was really effective at heat and cold control- we never got a chance to ask the previous owners what it was but I might guess liquid sandpaper.

This bus we've used Bus Kote by Hydratech and rolled/painted. Spraying would have been ideal but it's only a primer so we're not worried about it. Ours is 22' and has 2 coats on most of it and the whole gallon is almost gone- it's very viscous because it's an elastomeric ceramic polymer. I'm guessing that you'll need at least one or two gallons for 2 coats on a 71 seater! As long as you know what you're doing with a sprayer, you should have more luck with efficiency than our rolling. Bon chance ;)
mad.am.scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Here's a link to a guy that did a bus conversion. He has about 3 or4 episodes about his paint job. Very informative, I learned a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQd38COUmoR9BNuXcjiPz2A
sr41056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

I used dutchboy exterior house paint. It was no prime no prep. But i did pressure wash the bus and wiped it down with acetone. I rolled most of it on and used brushes where a roller couldnt reach. Its been a couple years and still looks good. It was a water soluable paint for easy clean up. This is my first skoolie and read it on a post some time ago that another guy used it so i thought id give it a try. Best of luck.
Blueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Painted mine with Rust-o-leum thinned with Acetone and sprayed with a cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. Roof is a special metal roof coating from Dicor. Keeps the inside cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0333.jpg  
HOGCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:38 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGCAT View Post
Painted mine with Rust-o-leum thinned with Acetone and sprayed with a cheapo Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. Roof is a special metal roof coating from Dicor. Keeps the inside cooler.
THATs a nice paint job
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
We have used the Rustoleum in the past on sides and a white ceramic coating on the roof.

Lately we have been using the Magic tractor paint with hardner and a 7.00 harbor freight HVLP spray gun.
The paint also comes in matching rattlecan so it's easy to patch later.

We have been using it on farm implements and dirt track modified tube frames and it holds up very well and is durable.
I suggest using the Magic hardener. We painted one car frame without and it stayed tacky for two days and soft for two more.
The tractors and frames we painted using the hardener could have parts start going on that afternoon.

The Harbor Freight HVLP guns are cheap but spray most standard paints quite well but you have to thin then a little.
I probably wouldn't use one for finish work on hardwood furniture or cabinets though.
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #40

Year: 1975
Quote:
Hello!
I'm looking to paint my 71 passenger school bus with 2 coats of Rustoleum Farm Equipment Paint. Just wondering if you fellow Skoolie folks have had luck with this product, or would you recommend something else? Also, how do you estimate how many gallons are needed for 2 coat application? Do I need 2 coats? I heard this stuff is a bit thicker than some other paints out there. I'm planning on using a sprayer.
After forgetting to pull up a corner stabaliser on our Airstream, i painter them a bright orange using the FARM EQUIPMENT PAINT - not just Rustoleum. After 4 years and 20K milies, no nicks or chips and they're under the trailer! Two different paints discussed here iI think. (?) Not sure how it would spray. Good luck! Great photos y'all.
BeemerPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
71 passenger, paint, rustoleum, tractor paint