Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Parking Break line question

Another noob question,
I have a 91 ford b700. The parking break line is leaking (very badly), after talking to local ford dealer they said I would have to go to indy or fort wayne to find parts (from a dealer). I am going through an insane amount of power steering fluid (the fluid in photo is trans fluid since my dad said it was "good enough" rather than using the power steering fluid -.-)...

My question is, would it be possible to remove this line and replace it with a hydraulic hose? Or would doing that be a bad idea?... The place where the leaking line connects to (on the right side of photo) connects to a hydraulic hose...
Attached Thumbnails
SDC14102.jpg  

CStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Of course a dealer is going to say you need to go to a dealer, they think only their parts will work. I see no reason why a hydraulic hose wouldn't work, it's just a line with oil under pressure in it. I'd probably replace the whole thing including the hose it's connected to. I see we're more or less neighbors, if you want to visit just give a holler.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
Of course a dealer is going to say you need to go to a dealer, they think only their parts will work. I see no reason why a hydraulic hose wouldn't work, it's just a line with oil under pressure in it. I'd probably replace the whole thing including the hose it's connected to. I see we're more or less neighbors, if you want to visit just give a holler.
Alright cool, I didn't want to go to another dealer (last dealer I went to wanted over $250 for a part when I got one from the auto part store for $40 but your probably get what you pay for) but I also didn't want to attempt to replace it and find out that hydraulic lines are less "sturdy"... anyways thanks.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
What he said.

We replace ford B700 lines with hydraulic lines as a standard in the shop.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just make sure to secure hydro lines all along the run.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I'm posting this PM I received so others may learn from the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStanley
You commented on one of my posts saying "We replace ford B700 lines with hydraulic lines as a standard in the shop"...

I have a question for you (since you seem to be very knowledgeable).

I noticed that basically from the fuel tank to the rear of the parking break line was completely replaced with copper pipe (like for plumbing),,, is that safe???

If it is safe, should I just replace the last 6 feet with copper pipe or should I go with hydraulic lines for the last 6 feet???
I work part time for a bus shop that maintains 400 buses.

If it is copper, make sure to replace it. If it's a stainless steel hardline with properly flared ends at the fittings, leave it.

There is nothing wrong with stainless or even steel hardline. In reality, hardline is better than the flex line.

Just like you see on equipment like bobcats, ect. The hydraulic lines are hardlines, only using flexible where needed. This is due to the flex lines being able to swell from the pressure changes. In a brake line, this equals a spongy brake peddle.

Copper can not take the vibration, and therefore should never be used in a brake system.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Just something to think about- have you checked the fitting's seals? Because it looks like it's leaking from the threads.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj View Post
Just something to think about- have you checked the fitting's seals? Because it looks like it's leaking from the threads.
It was leaking at the bend in that line (it was running down the line to the threads)... and I have already removed it (hoping that I could get a hydro line made) and it was ripped in half in the process.

I am having a "fun" time with this bus. Turns out that a prior owner had the parking break line replaced with copper lines in some parts and according to nat_star "Copper can not take the vibration, and therefore should never be used in a brake system"... not to mention that nobody around me can get a hold of a hydro line connector that would have worked on the copper lines lol.... This is starting to remind me of my plow truck
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Copper will "work harden" and crack when exposed to vibration over time. Not really good for anything on an RV.

Likewise electrical. Use multi-strand wire...not solid core. It holds up much better for the same reason.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #10

I know this is a dead thread, but I'm having the same issue and was wondering if anyone could tell me the type of fittings I need in the replacement hose?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
jay85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if its hydraulic pressure its likely a 37 degree flare fitting.. the sizes vary likely #6 or #8, you can make yourself a new Hydraulic hose (I believe).

someone else can chime in if because its brakes it requires a special DOT approved line?

in general you can buy steel braided hose and AN fittings and make your own lines that will withstand the pressures.. Ive not had to replace a brake power booster line so I dont know if there ramifications to the type because its a brake component..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote