Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: 392 gas International
Rated Cap: 65
Partial Roof Raising

Hi,
This is my first serious post so please let me know if the answer to my question exists somewhere in a place I didn't search properly for.
I was wondering if anyone has ever done a partial roof raise - ie - cutting the roof down the middle, using screw jacks and beams to force the split roof up on both sides, and then using angle welded in, and skinned to fill the resulting gap?
I don't feel the need to retain the roll-over capability of my bus, and was thinking of just trying to get about 6 inches more headroom in the middle aisle to allow me to insulate on top of the floor. My bus is presently exactly 6 feet from steel floor to roof on the inside and I also am 6 feet tall.
I have been watching some of your builds and am constantly amazed at the quality and well thought techniques used to fabricate a quality motor home out of a cheap bus.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Partial Roof Raising

How about cutting out the center and adding a "clerestory" (clear story) similar to what you see on trolley cars. I think you could add just enough for head room with out risking too much weakening to the structure. Or is that what you said (sorta sounds like it... but not??? )
http://architecture.about.com/od/str...clerestory.htm

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Actually that is not exactly what I had in mind, but I do like the looks of the one you showed. I think that would be easier than a full roof raise, also.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

I really like the rail car picture & thanks, Lorna, for the dimensional diagram too!
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
I really like the rail car picture & thanks, Lorna, for the dimensional diagram too!
The dimensional diagram is for a model (Ho scale?) train... but you can extrapolate the dimensions up to your bus since it is a scaled model. Just find out what you would need to multiply the base dimension by to match your roof width, then multiply all other measurements by the same number.

I'm all for easier...
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

hawk, you got a picture of what you have in mind?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Nope, and after seeing the clerestory thing that Lorna sent, that looks more suited to my bus rather than trying to cut and bend whole sections of the roof. I am going to go with her idea. Thanks, Lorna.
I intend to have this done by summer, and I will send pictures after I get started. Too cold to work right now.