Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Partition in storage belly

I have a stock storage bin on my passenger side. I would like to split it in half and and use one side for generator and batteries, and the other side for breaker box and inverter.

This will allow for my inverter be away from generator heat, and away from batteries gas.

Any suggestions on what to build the wall with?
I can wood frame, or metal stud frame. But, Im open to anyone's opinions and suggestions.

NowhereFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
I personally think you'd be better off having your breaker box and inverter inside, where they would be more protected from the elements. At the very least the breakers should be indoors, with the panel mounted near where your power will be coming in. Surface or flush mounting is strictly a personal preference, dictated by the design of your box.

However you design the enclosure for your batteries, make sure there is adequate ventilation for the gases to disperse, and if you use flooded batteries you will need to have a way to access them for maintenance, whether opening an access panel, or sliding them out on a tray (or multiple trays if you have a large bank). Depending on what you choose batteries weigh anywhere from 50 to 125 lbs each so make sure the storage bay can handle the weight.

Generator is a little more flexible... what you do with it will depend on the physical size, where the fuel tank is located, and if it can be relocated if necessary. If it's small and light you can certainly keep it in the bay with the batteries, but if it's a bigger and heavier one you'll want to make sure the bay can handle the combined weight.

As far as the divider itself, metal studs would probably be stronger but wood can also be used, or just fasten in some sheet metal at top and bottom, that should also likely be good enough.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote