Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Like patrick said, do it with the engine off and there should be a minimal amount spilled.

I use the hose that international specs. Yeah you can flare steel brake line cheaper, but the original was steel and broke(due to vibration I guess), so I upgraded. That and my labor isn't free. We've never had one with the rubber upgrade have issues.
Thanks. Gonna attempt this upgrade soon. Will post back...

adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #22
Bus Nut

So, I attempted to put one end of the replacement rubber hose on to find that it didn't fit, little too small in diameter. Is there a specific place you go to get line made as far as bent and flared or could I take the replacement rubber hose and get the fittings switch from the old line onto the rubber hose? I called a few auto repair places, a muffler and brake shop, AutoZone, and another auto parts store and no one can help me or tell me where I could go. Where is this type of work done?
Old 12-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
It should not be a problem for any "real" parts store to sell you flare adapters in the correct size in brass.take the new hose and the old part that has the termination end and show it to the parts man. Gene
Old 12-19-2019, 01:04 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
O'Reilly Auto Parts makes custom hoses.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
O'Reilly Auto Parts makes custom hoses.
I went there and they said they don't. I'll ask at another location

Thanks
Old 12-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Could this work as a replacement?

https://m.autozone.com/internal-engi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 12-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Did you ever call your international dealer and ask them? I'd be surprised if one of the old parts guys didn't know what to get you.

I don't have the part number handy anymore(if there even was one).
Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
So, I attempted to put one end of the replacement rubber hose on to find that it didn't fit, little too small in diameter. Is there a specific place you go to get line made as far as bent and flared or could I take the replacement rubber hose and get the fittings switch from the old line onto the rubber hose? I called a few auto repair places, a muffler and brake shop, AutoZone, and another auto parts store and no one can help me or tell me where I could go. Where is this type of work done?
Any good automotive refrigeration hvac repair shop will be able to make lines.

Any Hydraulic repair shop will be able to make lines -- where the construction folks go to get all their weird lines made up.

Kamin (bearing) supply (if ones near you usually has such a shop) to make lines.

Any of these type places will use the ends off your old lines to make new lines for you.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Went to AutoZone and rented a flaring tool and but some still line. Do you guys just match the line up with what you want to replace by eyeing it?

Also, if I go to home Depot and get a line Bender is that fine or is that just for plumbing since it's from home Depot? Might go to harbor freight

Another question.. what the flaring tool am I to get metric or standard? How does one decide? A guy at a Meineke shop said if I bought the line, bending tool and the flaring tool he'd show me how to do it.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
These guys made me a hose near me. They have three locations in Houston:

Service & Supply Centers - PIRTEK USA

bring them the old hose. Or they may come to you!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by adic27 View Post
Went to AutoZone and rented a flaring tool and but some still line. Do you guys just match the line up with what you want to replace by eyeing it?

Also, if I go to home Depot and get a line Bender is that fine or is that just for plumbing since it's from home Depot? Might go to harbor freight

Another question.. what the flaring tool am I to get metric or standard? How does one decide? A guy at a Meineke shop said if I bought the line, bending tool and the flaring tool he'd show me how to do it.
Metric flaring tool? Is that like a metric adjustable wrench? Do you think plumbing only refers to water? What do you mean "match the line up?" Are you referring to the diameter? Yes it should be the same as what you are replacing, measure it. Most brake lines can be bent to shape by hand. Is this the same issue from a year and a half ago? While there is not a specific flaring tool for metric or SAE, there is a difference in flare angle between brake lines and AC lines. One won't work on the other. One is 37* and one is 45*.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Metric flaring tool? Is that like a metric adjustable wrench? Do you think plumbing only refers to water? What do you mean "match the line up?" Are you referring to the diameter? Yes it should be the same as what you are replacing, measure it. Most brake lines can be bent to shape by hand. Is this the same issue from a year and a half ago? While there is not a specific flaring tool for metric or SAE, there is a difference in flare angle between brake lines and AC lines. One won't work on the other. One is 37* and one is 45*.
Lol yea from a year and a half ago. The AutoZone guy asked me if I wanted metric or standard. As for the size, I didn't know rather it was 1/4 or 3/8 etc and was wondering if it's ok to match by eye as far as diameter. I did and the guy at the Meineke shop bent and flared it for me. Pretty cool dude. Thanks for responding!
Old 12-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
These guys made me a hose near me. They have three locations in Houston:

Service & Supply Centers - PIRTEK USA

bring them the old hose. Or they may come to you!
Thanks for that. I already had it made. Wish I knew of this place before but happy the guy at the Meineke shop showed me how it's done. I'll keep this place in mind tho.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #34
Bus Nut

The guy at the Meineke shop suggested I get new o-rings but the ones in the kit at AutoZone all look more like rubber bands. Do they form once in place and pressure is applied? I attached an image of what the original one looks like on one end. The other end looks pretty good, like new but on that same end there is an elbow that has another smaller o-ring that can use replacement and I assume the other elbow (still attached to the buss) is probably in the same shape. Should I go to a plumbing store for this? Gonna check home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
15775729018596132154492931548609.jpg