Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
passenger seats with integrated seat belts.

So i know there has been a lot of discussion here about passenger seats, but i am still really going in circles about how to approach what i am trying to accomplish. i have a 95 e350 Girardin short bus. i am planning on using it mainly for our family adventures. we all surf and ski and mtb and SUP. so i really need to figure out our best seating options. i am planning on putting a double bench forward facing either behind the drivers seat or behind the step well. also i am planning on putting a passenger seat in the middle , next to the drivers seat. so i am looking at what everyone else has done when looking for comfortable and safe seats with integrated seat belts. i have looked at the sprinter seats, and the toyota sienna seats. any other seats, that come to mind that i should be looking at?

sugarpinedanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpinedanny View Post
So i know there has been a lot of discussion here about passenger seats, but i am still really going in circles about how to approach what i am trying to accomplish. i have a 95 e350 Girardin short bus. i am planning on using it mainly for our family adventures. we all surf and ski and mtb and SUP. so i really need to figure out our best seating options. i am planning on putting a double bench forward facing either behind the drivers seat or behind the step well. also i am planning on putting a passenger seat in the middle , next to the drivers seat. so i am looking at what everyone else has done when looking for comfortable and safe seats with integrated seat belts. i have looked at the sprinter seats, and the toyota sienna seats. any other seats, that come to mind that i should be looking at?
Van seats have the seat belts mounted to some of them. The other option is commercial truck seats. I would find pick n pull junkyards and start looking to see what you can find. Prices vary widely.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Van seats have the seat belts mounted to some of them. The other option is commercial truck seats. I would find pick n pull junkyards and start looking to see what you can find. Prices vary widely.
thanks. do you know which van seats had the seat belts in them? also i am trying to keep the width down. i am still doing a full conversion. i really am only looking for a seat about the size of a rear bus seat. that is why i was looking at the sprinter seats. i would even mount other seats on a bus passenger frame if it works. that is what i like about the sprinter seats. some recline all the way flat. they have storage underneath, and the doubles are under 40" wide. that would still give me an isle and a counter across from it. i would love it if we had all of the euro style camper vans in this country. they all seem to be way more practical in terms of space and use. like the vw transporter seats.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
How about adapting removable van seats? Or simply reusing some your existing bus seats?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
thanks. do you know which van seats had the seat belts in them? also i am trying to keep the width down. i am still doing a full conversion. i really am only looking for a seat about the size of a rear bus seat. that is why i was looking at the sprinter seats. i would even mount other seats on a bus passenger frame if it works. that is what i like about the sprinter seats. some recline all the way flat. they have storage underneath, and the doubles are under 40" wide. that would still give me an isle and a counter across from it. i would love it if we had all of the euro style camper vans in this country. they all seem to be way more practical in terms of space and use. like the vw transporter seats.
Dodge caravan seats...maybe?

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Great seats!

I have found some good deals on commercial van seats and was able to pick up Ford Transit seats (3,2 and 1 person) brand new for $400. They came with mounting rails and are removable if you use them. Were a bit tricky to get in, but the integrated shoulder belts and narrow width worked perfect for my set up. like these... but cheaper...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...509507824.html
Whitestripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
You're welcome. Everything I can think of has been mentioned here. Older conversion vans made by Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford are worth a look. Also RVs. There are a few videos on youtube that show mounting seatbelts in vehicles that didn't come equipped with seat belts.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestripes View Post
I have found some good deals on commercial van seats and was able to pick up Ford Transit seats (3,2 and 1 person) brand new for $400. They came with mounting rails and are removable if you use them. Were a bit tricky to get in, but the integrated shoulder belts and narrow width worked perfect for my set up. like these... but cheaper...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pt...509507824.html
thanks, i was hoping someone else had gone this route. i like the euro style seats like these. I was looking at the sprinter seats, which are essentially the same. i may get some seat like these and then rebuild them so that they flip and fold rather than just recline. i really wish we could find RIB altair seats like they put in the vw t4s.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
How about adapting removable van seats? Or simply reusing some your existing bus seats?

yeah, i am wondering if anyone has ever used the bus seat frame and them mounted other seats on them.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm sure an upholsterer could do that.

I consider my front two bus seats to be the mud room. They’re not pretty but they are indestructible.

You can get vinyl spray paint and change the color, but why would you?