Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #1

Patching rusty roof seems

Recently got on top of my bus and found some rusty cracked spots right on rib seams. Thankfully I haven't noticed any roof interior leaks yet. The interior panels are totally gutted with the factory insulation removed. Bare exterior panels.

Short of removing all rusty sections with a grinder and patching in new metal is there a more practical treatment for these seams? Possibly sanding welding or seam sealing the spots and putting on some rust-oleum?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210329_150022.jpg   IMG_20210329_145907.jpg   IMG_20210329_145900.jpg  

frostyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyllama View Post
Recently got on top of my bus and found some rusty cracked spots right on rib seams. Thankfully I haven't noticed any roof interior leaks yet. The interior panels are totally gutted with the factory insulation removed. Bare exterior panels.

Short of removing all rusty sections with a grinder and patching in new metal is there a more practical treatment for these seams? Possibly sanding welding or seam sealing the spots and putting on some rust-oleum?
The last picture, looks like the front cap? Yes ??
How far does the panel slide under the front cap...2 inches ???

I would look inside and if you have no rust issues I would just clean up the top, apply some OSPHO, seal it with an epoxy paint then apply seam sealer.
But that just me...
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
The last picture, looks like the front cap? Yes ??
How far does the panel slide under the front cap...2 inches ???

I would look inside and if you have no rust issues I would just clean up the top, apply some OSPHO, seal it with an epoxy paint then apply seam sealer.
But that just me...

Yes and yes. I'll inspect the interior a little more closely. I like that fix better than complete replacement

Edit: was also debating on what to coat the roof with elasto or other. This marine epoxy paint looks promising
frostyllama is offline   Reply With Quote