Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 54
Pine Boards Inside Bus

I am trimming my '88 Carpenter to look like an old rustic hunter's lodge on the inside. I have weathered pine boards that I am using to cover the inside walls and ceiling to give it that cabin look. I was just wondering if anyone else who has trimmed their bus interior with wood has had any problems with boards popping loose while going down the road. I haven't taken my bus out on the road since I've put my pine boards on since we're covered with snow here in Iowa. I don't know how they'll hold up to road travel. I assume school bus bodies are built not to twist or rack, otherwise windows would crack and rivets would pop. If anyone has info about this, I would appreciate it.

Adam

arfisher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: Pine Boards Inside Bus

Check out Steve's build. He has a fair amount of T&G in his bus. I had some panels work loose, but that was the fault of the screws, not the wood or motion really. I suppose a person could use some liquid nails if they were really concerned.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Hey Adam,

I was just looking at your bus and I think it's great. I like the paint job. You said that you did that with spray cans? Wow, that had to be a lot of work.

Anyways, welcome to the forum and keep those pictures coming.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Almost There

Yeah it was a lot of work. My girlfriend and I both had sore fingers from holding down the nozzles of spray cans for several hours during the painting process. However, I like the way the spraycans blended the colors to give such a great camoflauge effect - I used the same technique on my jonboat before. Well thanks for the compliments - I saw your bus too - looks like it has a lot of potential - good luck! I'm glad I found this website because now I am realizing just how popular bus conversions are. I'm not just some idiot with a crazy idea turning a bus into an RV - there are tons of us out there!

-Adam
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfisher83
Yeah it was a lot of work. My girlfriend and I both had sore fingers from holding down the nozzles of spray cans for several hours during the painting process. However, I like the way the spraycans blended the colors to give such a great camoflauge effect - I used the same technique on my jonboat before. Well thanks for the compliments - I saw your bus too - looks like it has a lot of potential - good luck! I'm glad I found this website because now I am realizing just how popular bus conversions are. I'm not just some idiot with a crazy idea turning a bus into an RV - there are tons of us out there!

-Adam
Do you mean tons of idiots or tons with crazy ideas. I resemble both.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Did you take a look at my bus, it is all T&G pine, everything is glued and screwed together no nails. There is a little bit of rattle but not much (I actually think the wood makes the bus quieter) and nothing has ever vibrated apart.

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/LoneBus/
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Almost There

Yeah I saw your bus and it looks awesome. My main concern is the vibration from driving down the road popping them loose. I don't use any nails either - only screws.

-Adam