Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Place to work on skoolie

For those in a housing development w HOA rules
.. where could I work on the bus or store it? This problem had been plaguing me for a while.

Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark5 View Post
For those in a housing development w HOA rules
.. where could I work on the bus or store it? This problem had been plaguing me for a while.
There is a spot right down the road from me that will let you store your bus and work on it.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Good luck with that. There's no way they'll allow a bus build if they are anything like what I know of HOA's. I'll never live in a place that tells me what I can and cannot do legally on my own property
Old 01-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
My bus is parked on a public street that is zoned commercial and already is home to other trucks. So far I haven't been bothered by anyone even when working on it at 11 pm. Not even by state troopers grabbing fuel from down the street at VDOT.

The biggest downside is I do not have access to electricity. I already have cordless power tools that I use in my profession, but I currently lack batteries of sufficient strength run a grinder longer than 10 minutes. And welders certainly aren't cordless! I probably just need to go ahead and bite the bullet on a generator already.

Security is another issue, but so far my bus seems undisturbed. The area is not prone to crime anyway probably because of the nice big federal government building across the street. In any event my front door shuts under air pressure from a remote switch in a lockable panel. It requires a significant amount of force to overpower from the bottom edge to open manually even after the air system bleeds down. My side door has a pin to lock the handle.

I have also worked in Home Depot and auto parts store parking lots again with no issues. I wouldn't start something drastic though that I couldn't move the bus on short notice. I also would not leave the bus there overnight out of respect if I could help it.
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I hear you. Trust me ending up here was not the plan...only been 3 months renting here. Before this I was traveling in an RV and before that owned a house w no rules. It all works out though we will have our home on wheels and I cant drive away fast enough
Old 01-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
There is a spot right down the road from me that will let you store your bus and work on it.
Are you talking abt a typical storage center? Theres one very close to here as well.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have my busses in a Uhaul RV / truck lot.. the documentation states you arent supposed to work on stuff.. however the one im at has never said anything to anyone about it.. I have swapped transmissions, installed Air-conditioning, and the like.. however my area has always been cleaned up at the end of each day and ive never left a vehicle completely in pieces.. im not sure id do a roof raise in such a lot.. or tear a nbus apart where you would have lots of stakcs of seats, metal, etc.. but if you haul away your tools and junk every day I dont think they say much..

my HOA hates commercial vehicles and RVs of all types.. the old-bitties on the board thrive on slamming on people.. however I do take my shorties home a few days at a time and they dont bother me.. you just have to feel them out.. again tearing a bus down where you have piles of seats, metal, etc outside your house for days at a time will definitely get their attention in a bad way..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthseeker4449 View Post
I probably just need to go ahead and bite the bullet on a generator already.
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of a $75 generator I bought on Craigslist and I've only had to replace the pull cord so far.