Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Almost There

Question Places to park a bus while building it out?

We live in Miami so of course you can't park a school bus at an apartment building while you are building it out.

We would love to actually live in the bus while building it out. But, that's looking like it may not be feasible do to so many parking restrictions.

Anyone have this same problem and/or have suggestions on where to park a bus while building it out that won't cost a ton of money? Don't mind traveling a bit to go back and forth while working on the bus.

I did try calling a storage lot, but they said we could not work on the parked vehicle while it is stored.

RobOfYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

You could probably place an ad on kijiji or craigslist or something, asking to "rent" a parking spot. I'm sure theres a lot of cash-strapped people with a backyard, who would welcome some extra money.

You could park it in storage but drive it out to the middle of nowhere to work on it. Or maybe right in front of your house for a few hours each day.

I'm lucky to have a family cabin that i can park at while i build. Maybe you have a friend or co-worker who'll let you park at theirs?
teknomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I stored one of my boats at a private storage place where someone was working on his bus there, any empty spots there filled up within days, so not going to be easy to find.

Be aware that someone who says you can park it and work on it somewhere, if its not allowed (lots of uninformed people looking to generate some cash from you) a neighbor can complain and you are screwed. Ask me how I know.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 40' MVP-ER
Engine: Cat 3126
Awesome Possum, but it’s in Texas...
shaymcquaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:27 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknomad View Post
You could probably place an ad on kijiji or craigslist or something, asking to "rent" a parking spot. I'm sure theres a lot of cash-strapped people with a backyard, who would welcome some extra money.

You could park it in storage but drive it out to the middle of nowhere to work on it. Or maybe right in front of your house for a few hours each day.

I'm lucky to have a family cabin that i can park at while i build. Maybe you have a friend or co-worker who'll let you park at theirs?
I did not think of running an ad to try to rent space at someones home to do the work. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Caballo Loco Ranch in Arizona.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 8.3L / MD3060R
Rated Cap: 46
Craigslist

Search craiglist for parking, truck parking, rv parking, trailer parking, boat parking... etc.

Use google map's and street view to see what the place looks like. Call the ones who look like small owner / operators.

I needed to park a trailer in Atlanta, I found a few close to where I needed so got to choose the best for me.

Bill
cntryby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:22 AM   #8
Almost There

Thanks. Will give those searches a try.