Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: none
Coachwork: none
Chassis: none
Engine: none
Rated Cap: none
@s2mikon , thanks for that.

I wasn't quite clear.

I meant to say that (ideally) I would want the freedom to use either a mobile home park (for a longer stay in an area) or an RV park.

I opened this discussion because I was aware that many RV parks do not welcome or allow converted buses. I know that in some (many?) cases this is because of esthetic considerations.

As I was not aware of the RVIA certification (and I've never been an RV owner), it had not occurred to me that the park's insurance was also a consideration. And whether I agree with that or not, I do understand it. Insurance companies rule the U.S. Their money. their rules.

I'm sure that mobile home park owners vary quite a bit from region to region, and I'm sure there are probably insurance considerations there also.

All of this is new to me, which is why I'm here.

Thinking of it though, there are separate sections of the National Electric Code for "Trailer Parks" and "RV's".
And there is where the insurance requirements start, I would bet.
Add the possibility of natural gas storage and piping to that, and ...

travelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
If you're calling ahead and getting rejected on the phone for having a converted bus.....try not saying that.
Our rig is a 40' pusher on an international chassis.

If they specifically ask "is it a skoolie" or "is it a conversion" I'll be honest. But I'm not volunteering that it's a a skoolie.

Besides, TECHNICALLY it's a "City Transit bus" Per Kelly BB's VIN lookup, not a skoolie. It just happens to have been last run by a school.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #23
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a really crappy Wanderlodge from the Salvation Army for $500. Leaky roof, rodent condo and a locked up Detroit.
He kept the Onan genny and a small badge and some tags. The rest went to the scrap yard for $300.
His bird Bluebird Activity bus is now a Wanderlodge.
Old geezers tell him how great it looks.
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post
A few years ago a friend of mine bought a really crappy Wanderlodge from the Salvation Army for $500. Leaky roof, rodent condo and a locked up Detroit.
He kept the Onan genny and a small badge and some tags. The rest went to the scrap yard for $300.

That is epic!
Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post

Careful with the "old geezers" stuff.....I'm fast approaching that stage..... youngsters think I'm already there.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Careful with the "old geezers" stuff.....I'm fast approaching that stage..... youngsters think I'm already there.

Maybe @jimmythomas can PM a pic of his friend's "Wanderlodge" so you can tell him how great it looks.

Someone said, you're either growing old, or you're growing cold.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
IMHO a travel trailer might make more sense if you seldom move. I have motorhomes and buses that sit for years now and can vouch that it’s not good for them. Acidity in the oil and cooling rots them from the inside out. Brake fluid collects moisture. Brakes can seize up……..etc. I wish I could easily replace a couple of my motorhomes with trailers now. But first I have to drain the fuel tanks because the fuel has got stale. I cannot find a easy place to drain them. And now one of them will only start but not keep running. And then there’s the issue of being accepted into RV parks. Ive placed a listing on Craigslist looking for someone to move a vehicle and had no problem finding someone. So this is a option for trailer if you have no tow vehicle. Hope it goes good for you.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #28
Skoolie

With the influx of the huge amount of new RV's sold the last 2 years, the investment by Corporate America/Hedge Funds buying many existing RV dealers AND buying many existing RV parks it's only a matter of time before the rejection of your Bus Conversion or any OLD RV (Age Restrictions) will become common place as these old "RV Parks" git converted into "RV Resorts". That way the owners can charge more for a nights rental to help pay back the huge amount of money these RV Resort Owner's paid for the properties they have purchased.

Welcome to the future of RVing, Camping, Traveling or whatever you choose to call it!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:12 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
IMHO a travel trailer might make more sense if you seldom move. ....

Good advice, thank you.

I've considered various options, given my particular situation.
I don't favor an RV or travel trailer as such because I want a little more space, and I need my own layout. A typical travel-trailer layout would not serve my needs very well.

I've considered converting a smaller Class 8 trailer (the same trailers most over-the-road trucks haul) for that reason. I'm beginning to think that this may make more sense for me, if I do it in a way that it's aesthetically acceptable to trailer-parks etc.

I can't tow such a trailer myself, but I could hire it towed by a trucker...

I assume.

I'll have to investigate that to learn what DOT restrictions may apply, and how insurance will factor into that situation.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #30

Year: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinLight View Post
It appears it may have already done so?

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Rec...hoC1IIQAvD_BwE
LoisWade42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:36 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Ever since I painted my bus all white and some grey I haven’t had a problem with Rv parks. I’m even thinking of adding some swooshes on the sides to make it blend in more.

If you were in to stealth camping I’d suggest converting a box truck but since you want hook ups and if you don’t want to face the chance of rejection you might get a motorhome - they’re not as solid as buses but they’re better than travel trailers. If it’s diesel then fuel can sit in the tank for a year no problem. If gasoline you’d need to add some stabilizer.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #32
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Hiring a trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinLight View Post
Good advice, thank you.

I've considered various options, given my particular situation.
I don't favor an RV or travel trailer as such because I want a little more space, and I need my own layout. A typical travel-trailer layout would not serve my needs very well.

I've considered converting a smaller Class 8 trailer (the same trailers most over-the-road trucks haul) for that reason. I'm beginning to think that this may make more sense for me, if I do it in a way that it's aesthetically acceptable to trailer-parks etc.

I can't tow such a trailer myself, but I could hire it towed by a trucker...

I assume.

I'll have to investigate that to learn what DOT restrictions may apply, and how insurance will factor into that situation.
I think it will be more difficult and expensive than you think to hire a trucker to move your trailer. It depends on how far it is going and if you already have a relationship with someone capable of moving the trailer though. Most truckers will be leery of hooking up their truck to an unknown uninspected trailer especially if it has been sitting a while. They need to have all the systems inspected and signed off because if something goes wrong on the road they are stuck with it. You would also have to pay them for double the miles so they can get back home.
If you are just moving it local I think it will be a lot easier to find someone to help you out because there is not the same liability.
Have you thought of getting your own heavy duty truck to tow it yourself. A serviceable truck capable of moving a larger semi trailer can be purchased for way under $10,000 and it can be driven be anyone with a regular license if it is limited to personal rV use. It requires a lot more maintenance than a pickup but not more than a city transit type bus.
I think the most difficult part would be a park allowing a truck and trailer combination in especially if they know a truck tractor is just going to drop it off and leave. Plus the height of most trailers is around 13 feet might make it harder to put a roof air conditioner on so you would have to put the condensers on a mini split underneath.
This would be a great idea if you had your own land and hookups where no can tell you no.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
With the influx of the huge amount of new RV's sold the last 2 years, the investment by Corporate America/Hedge Funds buying many existing RV dealers AND buying many existing RV parks it's only a matter of time before the rejection of your Bus Conversion or any OLD RV (Age Restrictions) will become common place as these old "RV Parks" git converted into "RV Resorts". That way the owners can charge more for a nights rental to help pay back the huge amount of money these RV Resort Owner's paid for the properties they have purchased.

Welcome to the future of RVing, Camping, Traveling or whatever you choose to call it!
This right here is exactly right. And it’s not just America, that same thing is happening all across Canada. The big money being spent on rv’s has been noticed and the sharks want their piece.
Old 11-07-2021, 12:29 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoman View Post
I think it will be more difficult and expensive than you think to hire a trucker to move your trailer. It depends on how far it is going and if you already have a relationship with someone capable of moving the trailer though. Most truckers will be leery of hooking up their truck to an unknown uninspected trailer especially if it has been sitting a while. They need to have all the systems inspected and signed off because if something goes wrong on the road they are stuck with it. You would also have to pay them for double the miles so they can get back home.
If you are just moving it local I think it will be a lot easier to find someone to help you out because there is not the same liability.
Have you thought of getting your own heavy duty truck to tow it yourself. A serviceable truck capable of moving a larger semi trailer can be purchased for way under $10,000 and it can be driven be anyone with a regular license if it is limited to personal rV use. It requires a lot more maintenance than a pickup but not more than a city transit type bus.
I think the most difficult part would be a park allowing a truck and trailer combination in especially if they know a truck tractor is just going to drop it off and leave. Plus the height of most trailers is around 13 feet might make it harder to put a roof air conditioner on so you would have to put the condensers on a mini split underneath.
This would be a great idea if you had your own land and hookups where no can tell you no.

Just the sort of helpful insight I needed.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

For my particular situation and needs, there doesn't appear to be a good solution. Several members here in this discussion have helped me understand why that is so, with knowledge I did not have.

Thanks to all who have contributed.