Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #21
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
I used normal rustolum and this product
https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-2046-A...5966666&sr=8-3

I mixed the rustolum to a custom blue of my liking then thin it with acetone and mix the hardener and sprayed it

I went with a harbor freight paint gun after rolling the roof and not being satisfied with the look(looks like trash lots of texture and roll marks)

It was my first paint job it looks awesome and gets lots of compliments

HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Daledorm,
* Rent a closed shopping maul
* Rent an aircraft hangar
* Rent an empty warehouse
* Rent a boat-builders or shipyard
* String a tarp between two Conex© shipping-containers
* and 'yes', being an imagineer on TheWorldWideWeb is second-nature
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:17 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
This might help you. One thing about doing it in the dirt is that it’s so dusty. Maybe there’s something in there that will help.

https://wegotschooled.com/2016/05/23/to-paint-a-bus/
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:25 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
"...roll and brush it..."
Marry me!
1964, my first vehicle was a 1949 International pick-up truck.
Black, but not '2021 Black©' black.
Well.
I had the idea to paint it 'pimp-purple', so I scrounged a partial gallon of house-paint and a four-inch brush, and I was off-and-running.
Even at fourteen, my genius-streak was clearly evident.
Fast forward to 2003.
Our 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to ExpeditionVehicle conversion was as simple as we could keep it.
For paint, I went to our local-owned hardware store for rattle-cans of flat-matte.
Tan with a terra-cotta stripe, and black lowers to give the delusion of an 'aggressive ground-hugging' stance.
Heck, that turned out pretty good, so the toy-hauler I built from a commercial trailer in 2010 is rattle-canned identical.
Mighty sharp, if I may say so.
Before I found a booth to rent I was going to get some pvc pipe and make a “lean-to” I could prop against the bus and paint a section at a time.

Someone on the forum built a booth out of scaffold uprights and tarps which I think is a really great idea.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:40 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
100 grit is pretty coarse. Maybe start with 180 or 220? I usually go with 300 unless there's actual bodywork to do.
Why take it all down to bare metal? seems a lot of extra work.

I agree (if the paint has good adhesion, and is compatible with the new paint, than it probably only needs to be scuffed/sratched up, new exposed metal requires a primer) with one addition. Use a good degreaser before sanding. If it has been waxed, then use a de-waxer, if the roof has any silicone on it you are in deep dodo.... read the instructions.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:48 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Look around for boot rentals. I found one that was just big enough for my short bus. If you can’t find that then you just gotta go for it.

What is a "boot" rental? booth?
Old 07-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive been trying ti paint only before 4pm or so with my oil based paint.. most of the flying insects arent out even under my canopy when its sunshine out.. once the sun goes down my paint seems to have enough tack to it that bugs dont stick. and if they do they fall off real easy the next day without residue.. obviously they will crawl into wet paint till they die and for those I wipe em off with a cleaning wipe the next day and it doesnt seem to be a huge issue..

the couple times I painted into the evening was disaster as i had lots of bugs in the paint so I quit that.

4pm? how hot is it there?
Old 07-11-2021, 10:24 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I'm planning on setting up a paint booth in my shop with plastic to try to keep dirt / dust out of the paint. I'm also thinking about painting the entire bus with raptor liner bed liner so if I do get any dust in the paint it won't be noticeable plus the bed liner will be more resistant to scratches than regular paint.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
Daledorm,
* Rent a closed shopping maul
* Rent an aircraft hangar
* Rent an empty warehouse
* Rent a boat-builders or shipyard
* String a tarp between two Conex© shipping-containers
* and 'yes', being an imagineer on TheWorldWideWeb is second-nature

I tried renting an unused or under-used warehouse / airplane hangar but of course a true rental was a year lease at some kind of crazy price like i was going to run my own jeff bezos empire out of it.. even tried contacting the ownder of a closed up car shop thats for rent .. i wanted it a few months.. they wanted 3 year lease for business marlket price.. place still has sat empty the whole time.. id have thought the dude would want some revenue vs 0 but well you know..

a Dead-mall could be a blast to build in if they have tall enough doors to drive into.. thats one I didnt think of!
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:32 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I'm planning on setting up a paint booth in my shop with plastic to try to keep dirt / dust out of the paint. I'm also thinking about painting the entire bus with raptor liner bed liner so if I do get any dust in the paint it won't be noticeable plus the bed liner will be more resistant to scratches than regular paint.

Ted
I think bed liner would be a good solution. I think you're right about the durability and due to the characteristics of bed liner it would probably hide a multitude of sins (mistakes).

Part way through my paint job I got to the point where my only concern was getting it done. Considerations like whether or not the paint sagged or ran became secondary to getting it done.

Bugs and dust, hmmmmm? Yea, if you can paint it in doors you're way ahead of the game.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote