Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #1

Plans For The Future

Hello to anyone and everyone who is reading this!

For the past couple months my girlfriend and I have been talking about getting our own bus and converting it into a place for us to travel the country and do some work from. We do not plan on buying a bus yet because we are still in our planning stage and we want to get a bus that can fit our needs but still be affordable. I plan on doing most of the work on the bus myself or with a couple of friends. We are open to any and all suggestions as we figure out what we will be needing.

we are wanting a short diesel bus so we can pull a small vehicle for city and off-road use, we want enough room for everything a person will need to live in the bus like shower, toilet, sink, bed, fridge, and a place to wash clothing. We are also looking at getting/making a miniature wood stove to heat our bus.

thank you to anyone who makes suggestions and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

axe8148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Start collecting the dimensions of the things you want to put in it and see how it works out. Don’t forget storage and space for utilities. Sounds a little bigger than a shorty. You’ll find people and their buses on YouTube to give you an idea. Watch a few hours of that and you’ll have an idea.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nows the time to check with you're insurance company to see if they cover wood burning stoves, it's a stickler to some.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #4

I didn't even think about insurance, thank you very much for mentioning it!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
My insurance company won't write a policy on a bus or RV, in Washington, if it has a wood burning appliance.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe8148 View Post
I didn't even think about insurance, thank you very much for mentioning it!
They frown upon decks also, so check that out if it's in the plans.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
They frown upon decks also, so check that out if it's in the plans.
Decks? like just an flat table?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Decks? like just an flat table?
Especially if it's a flat table that drunks can fall off due to no railing, yes. Too much liability having people on the roof of a bus partying.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Especially if it's a flat table that drunks can fall off due to no railing, yes. Too much liability having people on the roof of a bus partying.
Oh, I kept reading desk not deck, my bad. I can see why they wouldn't want those. thank you again for the heads up!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Travelling long distance with 2 people aboard with all of the amenities you desire will be extremely "crowded" on a short bus.

If you can live without a dedicated bathroom/shower onboard, it might be more doable but it will still be tight space wise.
Go mid size at a bare minimum, if a bath/shower is a "must have"...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Travelling long distance with 2 people aboard with all of the amenities you desire will be extremely "crowded" on a short bus.

If you can live without a dedicated bathroom/shower onboard, it might be more doable but it will still be tight space wise.
What size would you suggest for a mid size bus? My worry is about driving a vehicle that is long when trying to drive from place to place and about parking in a reasonable location.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
What size would you suggest for a mid size bus? My worry is about driving a vehicle that is long when trying to drive from place to place and about parking in a reasonable location.
25~30 foot bumper to bumper, maybe?
The bus parking issue is real but it's something you and/or your G/F, whoever is the designated driver, will have to wrap your head around and embrace if you go forward with your plan/dream.
RV's and schoolie conversions are all "oversized" when compared to cars. Obviously some are bigger than others, and you'll have to figure out what will work for you. Finances will also definitely come into play, as the bigger the vehicle, the more $$ it'll be to buy and maintain.
Having a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude/ability is a bonus, but not 100% necessary in piloting a schoolie across the country.

My suggestion is go to a used RV dealer and check out the different sized/classes of offerings on their lot.
That will give you an idea of what overall length might work best. It should also give you an idea of the types and quality of interior furnishings that can be fitted into small, mid sized, and full sized RV's or ultimately, school busses.

They might even allow a test drive, if you ask nicely and can convince them you are a serious customer and not simply a tire kicker/waste of time for the salesperson?
Good luck!
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #13

Quote:
25~30 foot bumper to bumper, maybe?
The bus parking issue is real but it's something you and/or your G/F, whoever is the designated driver, will have to wrap your head around and embrace if you go forward with your plan/dream.
RV's and schoolie conversions are all "oversized" when compared to cars. Obviously some are bigger than others, and you'll have to figure out what will work for you. Finances will also definitely come into play, as the bigger the vehicle, the more $$ it'll be to buy and maintain.
Having a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude/ability is a bonus, but not 100% necessary in piloting a schoolie across the country.

My suggestion is go to a used RV dealer and check out the different sized/classes of offerings on their lot.
That will give you an idea of what overall length might work best. It should also give you an idea of the types and quality of interior furnishings that can be fitted into small, mid sized, and full sized RV's or ultimately, school busses.

They might even allow a test drive, if you ask nicely and can convince them you are a serious customer and not simply a tire kicker/waste of time for the salesperson?
Good luck!
thank you very much for this advice! I'll probably be the one driving most the time. I don't have to much mechanical aptitude but I plan on putting in the hours to learn how to do the work so if there's any issues on the road I will be able to troubleshoot the problem w/o having to rely on a mechanic.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:

As the possessor of a well-aged bladder, I don't see how life in a bathroom-less vehicle is possible.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
As the possessor of a well-aged bladder, I don't see how life in a bathroom-less vehicle is possible.
One solution- This is what was in the TC2000 I bought, don't know how he lived like this.
Attached Thumbnails
20190411_123412.jpg   20190411_121614.jpg  
Old 07-08-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
One solution- This is what was in the TC2000 I bought, don't know how he lived like this.
Yeesh. As hard as it is to understand someone living like that, it's even harder to understand them leaving that behind for you. Did the prior owner die or something?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yeesh. As hard as it is to understand someone living like that, it's even harder to understand them leaving that behind for you. Did the prior owner die or something?
Bus was impounded for no insurance in Ga. Owner was in Va. and didn't have the tow fees to get it out. First thing I asked him was wear his "bathroom" was in the bus. It had dark curtains all around so I couldn't see jack. He said it was in the back and that he normally cleans it out on Sunday and hadn't gotten to it before it was impounded. The bucket was under the head of his bed. Bathroom duties hadn't been cleaned out in months.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:49 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
axe;

Also have someone as a dedicated "spotter" for those tight spaces and difficult turns. Create a system of signaling that works best for you and your significant other. Practice with a regular vehicle before going large scale. This way any "miscommunications" won't turn into "catastrophic" lessons..... Don't forget to ALWAYS be able to see the spotter in your mirrors, thus the spotter is moving as you are moving in tight spots to stay in your line of sight and make sound judgment calls. It takes some time to get really good at doing this, but the effort is so worth while! My wife knows exactly where I want to be and how I want to get there because we practice every time an opportunity presents itself. We walk the area, talk about how I want to cover blind spots, and how she will walk and spot me in my blind areas.

Hope this helps!

M