Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT C7
Plaster Interior Walls

Hello Skoolie Community! We want to give a plaster wall look to the interior of our bus, something like this:

I know that plaster by itself is too brittle, but in the theater art world, we just add Elmer's glue and/or silicone caulking and it allows for more elasticity. However, I don't know how that would hold up in a couple years.

I have seen one van build that had plaster walls, but A), it was a van, and B), it was by a company that sold pre-build conversions, so they didn't have any info on what they used.

From what I can tell, my best bet is a "plaster paint," but I have never worked with this, so again, I'm not sure what to expect.

Has anyone tried to do this?
Does anyone with more experience in plaster/paint have any thoughts?

Thank ya'll and it is great to be a part of this community!

Appa.thomas2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:13 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Interesting idea. I've done a fair share of this kind of work from real plaster (you do not want that) to skim coat.

How about just a painted surface? I'd recommend google searching 'poor man's fiberglass' and seeing if there are specific surfaces within the bus you can treat.

Alternatively why not paint and do a decorative finish, faux-plaster style?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:55 AM   #3

I had never heard of PMF before, but it is such a good thing to know, so thank you.

The biggest challenge with doing a thinner faux treatment is how to get corners and edges to be more organically curved. I could try to achieve that with PMF, but I feel like there has to be a better material...even carved foam or something. But that also is adding another step to the process.

Has anyone tried facing their closet/bathroom walls with something more flexible, like bendy plywood?
Old 04-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appa.thomas2002 View Post
Has anyone tried facing their closet/bathroom walls with something more flexible, like bendy plywood?
I did my whole bus with 5mm (3/16") underlayment plywood. Some varieties are not bendy enough to handle the curvature of a bus ceiling, but some are. I figured out which kind works by breaking the kind that doesn't.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #5

Well, we are still a little ways away from this step (currently skinning after our roof raise), but I will post here what I end up doing for anyone else who is interested in this type of finish.

Right now, I'm thinking I will have to incorporate a variety of methods for different parts of the bus, so if anyone has any more ideas, I'm happy to hear them!
Old 04-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Plaster may be OK in a house, but I think you may have problems with it in a moving vehicle. Your criteria for choosing how the interior is made should consider A) resistance to vibration and movement, B) low weight, C) inability to absorb moisture, and D) ability to absorb sound. Emulating a sticks-and-bricks house is not always the best way to build a motorhome, boat or aircraft interior: the latter two have been my inspiration much more than traditional RV construction.

Good luck, John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, interior finish, interior paint, plaster, plaster walls