Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Re: plastic lenses

look in the auto restoration stuff. you can make your own tail lights, etc with the resin and the stuff to make the mold. that kit has been out for several years. maybe eastwood has it, i just cant remember right now.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Cast a Custom Tail Light Lens! I think the guy made a mistake in casting it solid.

Amazing what you can find on the internet.`This article will give you an idea. You can buy the dyes for resin at places like Hobby Lobby (if you have one) or online. I recently began looking into resin casting (those little Victorian appliques are pricey yet not quite what I am looking for) and have learned that epoxy resin is longer lasting and much tougher than fiberglass resin which is cheaper and more brittle. Since I have learned that you can cast pretty much anything, in almost any colour (even metallic) with resin, I have been thinking of casting some light covers for the former overhead flashers (now "docking lights"). I have saved all the covers and can make molds from them. The possibilities from learning this skill is endless. I could cast replacement covers for the teardrop running lights. If I can do all the casting in the first place, It doesn't really matter if I use resin or fiberglass in most cases. If something I cast becomes damaged, I can cast another.

I think resin casing is an easily learnable skill that most of us would find quite useful... You could even make an epoxy resin cast door handle for the rear emergency door. That is if you happen to have one that fell apart. Or if you want it a different colour... I could take ours off (if I can get it off) and cast it in a copper coloured resin.

Lots of info out there on mold making and casting materials (resin, plaster, etc). I think that the free info on the internet would be just as good as many of the books out there. Many of them seem to be stuff taken off the internet. There is a book on Amazon for Movie Prop Makingthat appears to be the best according to the customer reviews. The book advocates using "readily available supplies" from hardware stores, etc. This is the book I'm planning on getting. I think making my own appliques, corbels, etc out of resin will be lighter weight, more durable than wood (my wooden cedar chest and vintage rock maple table are drying to a crisp... I've got gaps between the planking in the chest up to 1/4" wide). Plus I can make them in "copper" if I want or any colour(s) and never have to paint them. Any large, normally heavy ones, can be cast hollow, filled with canned foam and finished up with a layer of resin.

Just thinking out loud.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Better way to make a tail light than the previous link I posted... http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos/Tail...oEquipment.cfm This would allow you to duplicate the original lens covers.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote