Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Almost There

Year: 98
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: D
Engine: 7.2L turbo Cat C7 3126
Rated Cap: 84
Plastic wrapped fiberglass?

I have an odd insulation question. I am taking down the fiberglass insulation from the top of my bus. So far it is doesn't look moldy or damaged, but it is pretty thin, probably only 1 in. I also have several other bags of R-19 fiberglass, but I didn't want to use fiberglass on the bus because it absorbs moisture, can get moldy, and doesn't insulate well if not install perfectly.

I am currently putting up styrofoam and spray foam (2-3 inches?) to insulate the bus roof. To save money, I have been collecting foam for a while now, and I recently built a hot wire foam cutter. I am cutting the foam into little blocks and gluing them to the inside roof. I will use Tytan expanding spray foam to fill in all the spaces between the foam, that way I can use as much free foam as possible, and as little expensive spray foam as necessary. I have 5 more garbage bags of foam blocks ready, but I don't think it will be quite enough. Which got me thinking about all the fiberglass I have.

I recently made a trade for a giant roll of poly tubing. It looks like the photo below except my roll is 4 ft high. Based on the weight, I think there is about 1200 ft of plastic left on the roll.

So my question is: can I take (3) 1 inch fliberglass mats, stack them together, put them inside the plastic tube, seal up the ends, and install it in the roof as insulation?

I don't know much about fiberglass. Will the plastic bag interfere with sound dampening? Will it trap condensation? Or will it help reduce airflow and improve the insulating of the fiberglass? I know that most people don't do this, because the cost of the plastic plus the cost of the fiberglass would be more than spray foam. But in my case, since the fiberglass and the plastic is free, would this be a good solution?

gobygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

It'll work just fine, but don't forget the hazmat suit when you bag the stuff.
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I would never put fiberglass back into a bus under any circumstance.

2 inches of Styrofoam will do more than what 6 inches of fiberglass will.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Whatever moisture is in the air at the time you seal the bags will stay in the bags, and eventually the temperature will drop enough that moisture will condense onto the inside of the bag. A dessicant thrown into each bag could help absorb that water and prevent it condensing.

The sealed chamber will be like a balloon, too. When the bus goes someplace warmer or higher elevation than it is now the bag should swell. Seems harmless enough, except it might create enough pressure to finally rupture a bag. Likewise in low elevation or temperature the bag will shrink. That'll have the drawback of compressing the insulation and reducing R value.

The bag may be a good thing because it reduces/prevents air circulation through the fiberglass.

Like nat_ster, this is a spot where I'd buy the best I can afford/justify. "Compromise elsewhere."
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, insulation