Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2021, 12:01 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
So, do you know if this u shape rib is void inside the U? In other words, if there is any sort of material inside the other U shape ribs, but this one was left void for some reason like a flashing light wire etc., it will be the one rib that will condensate.
I'm only an hour drive north of you, so I know the rain, condensation, humidity etc. very well. One thing that I learned years ago is using any cyclical heat source like a furnace on a thermostat etc. will exacerbate the moisture issue, not solve it. A constant low heat like from a pellet stove or other heat source that does not turn off and on in a cyclical temperature control, will help keep condensation away.

You've sealed everything. Though it can always still be outside moisture coming in though a leak that wicks the water into the vehicle, it is more likely to be condensation from a cold metal spot. Wicking moisture is like a bad ground on a battery connection. It can cause all sorts of good component replacement and huge expense only to find out that that one grounding spot on the frame had corrosion under it. The moisture between metal surfaces can be either wicked from a distance away, or condensation from a small void space.

If you have a IR temp gun (harbor freight sells them too) see what if any differential temp there is at the wet U channel compared to the rest.
Thank you for that info. Nice to have a Skoolie neighbor near by Our bus is a Bluebird FS65. All of the ceiling ribs are hollow and wiring wasn’t run through the ribs. We’ve just got the floor insulated and plywood sheet at this point. Focused on getting all roof work done for solar panels, deck, wiring and making sure it’s all waterproof before we do a whole lot more inside. This last leak in the rib only leaks when there’s a heavy rainstorm. If it were a condensation leak, would’ve we see a more consistent leak that didn’t speed up with the heavier then rain?

Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #42
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleth2 View Post
Thank you for that info. Nice to have a Skoolie neighbor near by Our bus is a Bluebird FS65. All of the ceiling ribs are hollow and wiring wasn’t run through the ribs. We’ve just got the floor insulated and plywood sheet at this point. Focused on getting all roof work done for solar panels, deck, wiring and making sure it’s all waterproof before we do a whole lot more inside. This last leak in the rib only leaks when there’s a heavy rainstorm. If it were a condensation leak, would’ve we see a more consistent leak that didn’t speed up with the heavier then rain?

I would say you are likely correct in that. The condensation aspect would be more prevalent when it's not raining, but after a cold frosty morning and then the sun pops out and the temps rise quickly. The metal can't keep up with the temp rise and the condensation starts in.

During a heavy rain however, water can be pooling somewhere and then wicking to the point where the leak appears. Just thinking out loud as they say, but is it possible that the sealant has created a pocket that holds a small amount of rain water, then travels along the sealant to the point where the leak appears?
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #43
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
I would say you are likely correct in that. The condensation aspect would be more prevalent when it's not raining, but after a cold frosty morning and then the sun pops out and the temps rise quickly. The metal can't keep up with the temp rise and the condensation starts in.

During a heavy rain however, water can be pooling somewhere and then wicking to the point where the leak appears. Just thinking out loud as they say, but is it possible that the sealant has created a pocket that holds a small amount of rain water, then travels along the sealant to the point where the leak appears?
Any out loud thinking appreciated I need more than my brain on this evidently! That could be a possibility. I went back over all the rivets associated with that rib looking for a possible pocket and did find one rivet that was lifted a tad. Sealed it and am waiting for the next big rain for results!
Kaleth2 is offline   Reply With Quote