Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2021, 01:38 AM   #1

PNW rain is affecting my adhesive setting

I’m trying to put a vent fan and a roof hatch/skylight in my bus. So I will have to cut 2 holes in the roof (mine is a metal shuttle bus and did not previously have holes in the roof).

I’m doing this build in the PNW and it rains a lot here. Especially this time of year. So I need to make sure my adhesive it’s is able to set at cool temperatures and won’t be effected by moisture.

I already tried silicone while patching the holes in my floor and found out the hard way that it didn’t work. I’ve heard a lot about polyurethane sealant but I want to know if it will set.

I’m definitely going to put butyl tape on all the edges but I want an extra layer or protection if possible.

Baewithabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I used 1" Butyl tape, then a sealant just around the edge. Didn't need much, as the butly really did the job.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 25'-8" Handy Bus
Engine: 5.9 12v Allison 545
Rated Cap: 22 Pass Now 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baewithabus View Post
I’m trying to put a vent fan and a roof hatch/skylight in my bus. So I will have to cut 2 holes in the roof (mine is a metal shuttle bus and did not previously have holes in the roof).

I’m doing this build in the PNW and it rains a lot here. Especially this time of year. So I need to make sure my adhesive it’s is able to set at cool temperatures and won’t be effected by moisture.

I already tried silicone while patching the holes in my floor and found out the hard way that it didn’t work. I’ve heard a lot about polyurethane sealant but I want to know if it will set.

I’m definitely going to put butyl tape on all the edges but I want an extra layer or protection if possible.
I am up in the PNW area and just place a tarp elevated above my work area to keep the rain off . I dry the area out , install the item using butyl caulk and then let dry with the tarpover it for 24 hours. No issues so far. The prep work is most important.
Trooper2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
polyurethane sealant, roof hatch, sealant, temperature