Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Thomas Built Chevy
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel
Polishing Bus Windows

My bus is 30 years old and the frames of the windows have seemingly never been cleaned, have sealant residue, and paint splatter on them.

I took a steel polishing/grinding brush on my Dremel and worked through one and a half windows; however this not only took forever, but also left the windows with an uneven finish (even thought it is a cleaner than before).

I was wondering what the best cost effective/time effective way to polish the windows is and what I can do to get an even finish on the metal.

I want to restore the windows as much as possible and get them as new looking as I can without spending a week doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
60522500464__BB7EAA62-1963-4C0B-849F-7DEE38533305.jpg  

bigbeanbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I'd try a few different things and see what works. Dremel brush is so small that I'm not surprised it looks a little blotchy and uneven and it takes forever. Wire brush on a drill might work, but I have a feeling it would be a little too aggressive. We used one to clean up the frames before reinstalling.

I'd use soapy water/elbow grease, or acetone or denatured alcohol to remove the grime first. Then I'd try Barkeepers Friend or Bon Ami on a damp cloth and use long strokes on the frame to buff it up. Scotch Brite pads might work too, I'd look into that. This is all just a hunch though. It's a fairly low-cost operation so no big investment to give it a try.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeanbus View Post
I was wondering what the best cost effective/time effective way to polish the windows is and what I can do to get an even finish on the metal.

I want to restore the windows as much as possible and get them as new looking as I can without spending a week doing it.

I use "0000" steel wool on my Harley for cleaning the chrome and some aluminum.

Does a nice job at cleaning and leaving a nice finish too. You can get it at any hardware/box store.

(Picture show Grade 000, but Grade 0000 is what you want)
Attached Thumbnails
homax-steel-wool-10121000-64_1000.jpg  
ewo1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, leak, polish, windows