Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Polystyrene versus Styrofoam insulation

So there I was in the back yard looking at my poor old ice fishing house and it hit me...the insulation I used in there was plain old ordinary styrofoam. Menards sells the stuff for much cheaper than the pink stuff (about 1/3 the price for a 4x8 sheet IIRC) which is why I used it then. I know the R-value is lower, but I'm not worried about heat coming or going so much as interior noise supression so I was thinking this might be a viable option. My only concerns are that it doesn't score and break as well as the pink stuff and that it doesn't have much of any structural value.

To combat this I figure I could just run 12 inch centers for the furring strips as those are cheap anyway. As for the cutting....well I guess I'll just have to use my straight edge and my Ruko knife or something. It will all be coverd anyway.

I was thinking about how I'm going to attach my furring strips. I know a lot of guys have just used screws like Wayne did with the plywood when they built my bus in the first place. I figure I'll do the same thing, but to reduce the number of holes I'm putting in my floor I think I might use screws sparingly and instead use lots of liquid nails. I also think I will attach the plywood in the same method with just perimeter screws to keep it from warping while the liquid nails drys. This seems like the most squeak-proof and easiest method.

Any input on these ideas? I love hearing about other people's successes and failures before I venture off on my own in anything

Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Foam insulation

Styrene is the stuff used for coffee cups. It is cheap and cheap and is of very little value as insulation. My opinion is that this product is not worth the labor to install it. Polyethelene is the material to use. Usually insulation is done just once and keeps on doing the intended job. I did not insulate my bus everywhere, instead, very dense commercial carpet will be glued to the sheetmetal. Some foam expanding foam is sprayed in some areas. Removing and replacing the roof panels is completely out of the question.
My many windows seem to allow more heat to escape that the sheetmetal.
I have cut pieces of carpet to fit at each window. Each carpet piece is held in place with velcro at the top. The carpet is easily removed or folded down in the daytime. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I found a new product when I was just wandering around on google. I requested further information from the company. This might be just the ticket as it seems to have to properties I'm looking for with easy installation (no furring strips ) and should allow for more headroom as it is not very thick. Price will be the biggest determining factor for me assuming the company feels the product will be up to the task.

http://www.superseal.ca