Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
pressure tank

how important is an accumulator after the water pump....i have heard mixed views
and different ppl call them different things is a pressure tank an accumulator?

cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: pressure tank

yeah we have a well on the ranch that is always on then off then on it is a great white noise but the pump goes out often....
thanks smitty the bladder part of the tank makes alot of sense..and im going to add one
Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Skoolie

so how does the three way faucets work with an accumulator
http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=17649F
im thinking of getting a faucet like this but i know nothing about them
Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

My dad is a water well and system repair guy. A little 2 gallon tank will be good for some pressure for using sink etc. A 2 gallon wont do much for a shower etc.

But biggest plus for a little pressure tank is that it will cushion your lines from water jarring the lines around from a sudden on and off of the taps, toilet, etc. well worth the $40!

Also, some pressure pumps come with tanks built into them now. smart pumps they call them. cost allot more but they will keep your lines at a constant power when fed 110v. either from tanks or even on park water.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypsnookle
so how does the three way faucets work with an accumulator
http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=17649F
im thinking of getting a faucet like this but i know nothing about them
Well, we have one that looks like that in our camper. It works at least two ways.

If there is city water pressure, press down on the handle and water flows. If you want a stream without holding it, there was a long "L" bracket threaded into the counter next to it. The bracket would rotate onto the handle to keep it pressed down. We always boondock, so I unscrewed and stored the hold-down. I'm sure an accumulator would work just the same on a faucet you press as it would a faucet you turn.

When all you have is a tank, you push and pull on the handle, and "row" it back and forth to bring up spurts of water up from the tank. Each cycle gives a good spurt, but it is serious work to fill a pot. My neighbors in the '60s had a two-way that had an "umbrella handle" like older car emergency brakes. You pulled the handle out, and pumped it up and down like a bicycle pump. It was tilted 30° to 45° toward you to make pumping easier. I guess you rotated it to call for city water. It was a lot easier to pump with, but probably fell out of favor due to space issues under the sinks.

The "third" way the website advertises it works is as an "electric pump activator." I can only guess what this means. There may be a switch to enable pump power when you press down into the city position, so you don't have to turn on the pump control. Since there is a two-way version, I expect that the three-way adds the switch contacts. That would be good, as I would probably turn off the pump when sleeping or away, so a rupturing pipe or hose doesn't let the pressure sensor cause the pump to empty the tank onto the floor. Having the shut-off bypassed when you want a quick drink may be worth the extra $5 or $6 extra cost.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

I am starting to think I have made an error. Is a pressure tank necessary? I thought I would just put the pump inline with the sink, as it is supposed to turn on when it senses the water pressure has dropped, like when the faucet is opened. Of course, only when the pump is energized anyway.
Do I need a pressure tank too?
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

Ok, good idea. I can do that easily enough. Just not this month, IRS wiped us out. Need to adjust our withholding I think.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote