Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Pressure washing the Engine.

I did the skoolie.net + engine power washing google search thing with no luck so sorry if this has been addressed in another post I couldn't find it.

As a first step on my conversion I want to pressure / power wash the bottom of the bus with hot soapy water, rinse then use a rust converter on any of the light surface rust. I don't think there would be any issues doing this and it will make removing seats and any other under the bus work easier.

I was also hoping to get after the dirt build up under the hood, (a conventional bus) and then use the rust converter and possibly replace the old zip ties and plastic split loom wire coverings. Maybe refresh the engine paint etc. so the engine bay is more in keeping with the beautiful interior I hope to be building.

So...is it OK to pressure wash the engine and engine bay area? Seems like the engine has been exposed to water coming in the front grill for the last 19 years so it shouldn't be any problem. Thoughts?

BoxGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
I did the skoolie.net + engine power washing google search thing with no luck so sorry if this has been addressed in another post I couldn't find it.

As a first step on my conversion I want to pressure / power wash the bottom of the bus with hot soapy water, rinse then use a rust converter on any of the light surface rust. I don't think there would be any issues doing this and it will make removing seats and any other under the bus work easier.

I was also hoping to get after the dirt build up under the hood, (a conventional bus) and then use the rust converter and possibly replace the old zip ties and plastic split loom wire coverings. Maybe refresh the engine paint etc. so the engine bay is more in keeping with the beautiful interior I hope to be building.

So...is it OK to pressure wash the engine and engine bay area? Seems like the engine has been exposed to water coming in the front grill for the last 19 years so it shouldn't be any problem. Thoughts?
I used a steam/power cleaner on an engine. Came out pretty good. Watch out for electrical stuff and use degreaser.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
For the engine the steam cleaner is the way to go. You don't want high pressure pushing water and dirt into your seals or knocking wires loose.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I diod it on my mechanical engine, havent doneit on my electronic one yet.. but id probably disconnect the battery... wash it down then let the bus sit in the sun with the bonnet open and dry out, then fire it up.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Don't wash it in the same place you'll be puling the seats - otherwise you'll end up laying in all the crud you just washed off.

I'd apply the rust converter after you take the seats out. I wouldn't want to paint over the bolt threads I just washed, and you'll have a ton of uncoated holes when you remove the seat bolts.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Don't wash it in the same place you'll be puling the seats - otherwise you'll end up laying in all the crud you just washed off.

I'd apply the rust converter after you take the seats out. I wouldn't want to paint over the bolt threads I just washed, and you'll have a ton of uncoated holes when you remove the seat bolts.
All great advice.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Use a fan spray nozzle. Less chance of damage
To all the important stuff while still removing crud.
We power washed a c-15 caterpiller before a gasket reseal. After the job was done we were pulling all electrical plugs and blowing them out
Just to get the cat purring....
Mark carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post

Both good comments. I think I will still apply the rust converter prior to pulling the seats as I will still end up applying more for patches and holes I need to cut through the floor anyway. My hope is that it might make taking the seat bolts out a little easier if the nuts have had a going over. Prolly not but hope springs eternal =)

As for the engine cleaning I have decided to go with a steam cleaner, some degreaser, light rinse water (no pressure washer IOW) and lots of brushes and elbow grease. I will update with some before and after pictures and comments on how it went. Thanks for all the suggestions and information everyone.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Good call. More than a few engines & trannies have been ruined by 3500 psi water blasting.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 42
I live up in the rust belt, so buses up here may act different, but about 80% of the seat bolts that go through the floors on my 99 bluebird twisted off. This was actually preferable to the 20% that unscrewed, as I had to have a kid go under and hold the nut or crawl under and clamp a vice grip to it, then go back on top and try again! If they twist off, you save a ton of time and aching back. You can simply pound out the broken bolt with a punch if you want. I found that I could improve the twisting off percentage to nearly 100% by just trying to tighten the bolts, rather than loosening them.
siloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siloguy View Post
I live up in the rust belt, so buses up here may act different, but about 80% of the seat bolts that go through the floors on my 99 bluebird twisted off. This was actually preferable to the 20% that unscrewed, as I had to have a kid go under and hold the nut or crawl under and clamp a vice grip to it, then go back on top and try again! If they twist off, you save a ton of time and aching back. You can simply pound out the broken bolt with a punch if you want. I found that I could improve the twisting off percentage to nearly 100% by just trying to tighten the bolts, rather than loosening them.
Great idea on the tightening--so obvious it would never have occurred to me. Were you able to sell your seats? I see people on here mention selling their seats...I don't think that is going to work in my remote area.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 42
You can usually find a home for a few seats, but I think most of them end up in a landfill. I strip off the frames and put them in an iron pile that I recycle from time to time as I get a truckload. I think iron and steel is around $150/ton right now.
siloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466e
What happened to pics of the after, OP? Did you end up pressure washing the underside of the bus or did you use a steam cleaner on that as well?
adic27 is offline   Reply With Quote