Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Primer and Paint

I have to get some primer on bare metal before April 17th. It has to be something that sticks well and works well with other paints as I have not decided what kind of paint or which product I want to use. I am leaning towards The Valspar primer off the shelf from Tractor supply but I am worried that I would be limited to what I can top coat it with.

Anyone have any experience with this?

swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48
Re: Primer and Paint

How do you plan to apply the primer/paint? If you have the equipment (or access to the equipment) to spray it on, I would highly recommend a self-etching type primer over bare metal. I am not familiar with the restrictions in your state but you should be able to get it at an auto body supply store. Second choice would be a urethane type primer, that is what I am using on my entire bus. The main thing is when you apply your top coat of paint, use a compatible system. In other words don't apply lacquer over enamel, etc. But, your state limitations and budget may not allow this type of paintjob, in which case I would just go with a good enamel primer/topcoat system and try to get your hands on some enamel hardener additive otherwise it takes forever for enamel to harden.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Skoolie

I would like to use just one product(primer) for both. There are so many opinions on this subject and so many different choices i am having a hard time making an educated choice....especially on such short notice.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

What about rustoleum automotive primer? That's what I'll use when it comes time to paint my skoolie.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Again it depends on the method you use to apply the primer. Are you spraying it on or brush/rolling it on? I would at least talk to someone at an auto body supply store before I made a final decision.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Skoolie

Due to time constraints and availablity I sprayed rustoleum metal (rusty) primer(enamel) around the window openings and attached the windows permanently.

Therefor, my choice is a one stage enamel with hardener. Prolly two tone. Most likely the Valspar products....
Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
Bus Nut

I think you will be pleased with the results. Enamel paints have been used on vehicles for decades. As long as you are using a proper hardener, it will become very durable and hold its shine quite well. Just remember, dont test the hardness of your paint right away because enamels will remain soft for a month or so, even with the hardener, longer without it. It will eventually harden up well. After about 3 months you can put a good coat of wax on it to protect the paint further and really enhance the shine, just dont wax it until after the first 3 months with enamel. And don't forget to get pics of the paintjob....we love to see pics!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Skoolie

It will be awhile before the top coat goes on but I have made some progress on the deck and the furniture is in for the races in two weeks.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
Just remember, dont test the hardness of your paint right away because enamels will remain soft for a month or so, even with the hardener, longer without it. It will eventually harden up well. After about 3 months you can put a good coat of wax on it to protect the paint further and really enhance the shine, just dont wax it until after the first 3 months with enamel.
Not true with hardner........

Smitty
I guess my term 'soft' is relative... It will be hard much sooner with good hardener, but not to its full hardness for about a month. Without hardener at all it will literally remain soft enough to scrape with your fingernail for quite some time...but it will eventually get hard enough to resist scratching.