Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Problem with "Thanks" button

From what I can tell you can only thank an individual one time no matter how many times you agree with what they have written on different posts.

I read most of the posts by everyone, many times someone takes the time to write a thoughtful, informative post. If I hit the thanks button I often get the message that I have to thank more people, you know, play nice and tell others they did a good job. Isn't that like a participation trophy? I'm not going to thank someone just because they exist.

When someone writes a good post, they are often the same people over and over again, I think it's nice to tell them so. There are many I don't agree with and rather than "wrestle a pig" I just let it go.

Along the same lines, I could simply quote someone and give it a thumbs up or a "well said but", someone in their infinite wisdom decided that I must use some number of letters to say "atta boy"

While I'm on my soapbox. When someone wants to make a point and uses the quote. Just pick out the pertinent part to quote. Some make long make long drawn out posts and, that's ok, but the very next post someone has simply hit the quote button and the end result is that post has the last post fully written out before there is an answer. All you have to do is copy the section you want to address and paste it between the quote brackets. It makes more sense to me to break things into multiple quotes and answer each part seperately.

Rant over.

somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I tried to give this post a thumbs up but couldn't, nor could I send you a thanks because I've sent too many before and haven't thanked enough others apparently
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've ran into that as well.

It's annoying IMO. I like to give thanks to show the individual that I appreciated or agree with what they wrote, but I'm not going to make a post or quote them in order to show that. The world doesn't need to see it, just the person that wrote the post.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I think this one belongs under:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/

I ran into this as well a while back. Kinda silly.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Somewhere, I agree with you--despite my being an old "pig wrestler" and proud recipient of many a "participation trophy".
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
I can never find the upvote arrow here either.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
I can never find the upvote arrow here either.
Reddit has it right with this one, a simple upvote/downvote button is so much better.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I agree with all said here. The problem I foresee with making a change is most likely if they go through the steps to change a little, they will change a lot and go with that new style forum format, and I absolutely HATE it!!! I have quit posting on more than one forum because of the new fancy format they shifted to.

HATE, HATE, HATE IT!!!!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Reddit has it right with this one, a simple upvote/downvote button is so much better.

I like Reddit but it creates a bit of a hive mind and herd mentality. I like forums for what they are, naturally flowing conversations ordered chronologically with equal weight given to each comment regardless of popularity, as opposed to the most popular comments rising to the top (which often doesn't equate to most right or most helpful). But both serve their purpose.

Maybe my favorite is Xenfora (modern forum software, see: diysolarforum.com) which keeps the traditional forum style and conversation flow but adopts and adapts a lot of modern features from reddit and social platforms. They have a middle ground between upvotes and nothing, where you can give a thumbs up to a comment displayed publicly but it won't effect the flow of conversation.
dzl_ is offline   Reply With Quote