Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Prodex Insulation

So I have been reading up on insulation and I have a question:

If foam board Insulation has an R value in the 3-6 range per inch and blown foam has a slightly higher R value, has anyone found something with a higher R Value?

I found this insulation (which if I can believe all they say about it sounds ideal) which a much higher R value (15-17) for a much thinner material (5mm) and is specifically designed to be applied to metal walls and roofs (still unsure about using it as flooring). I would think the higher R value would make for a better insulation. While the cost is a bit high, it is not insane (especially to make the R value of my walls and floors 2-3 times higher) and would curve around the roof without having to cut and losing some R value there. It would also be a much easier application than traditional board or blown insulation.

Prodex ( https://www.insulation4less.com/default.aspx )

Does anyone have experience working with it? It looks like reflectix with foam insulation instead of air bubbles between the layers.

lee.wissmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.wissmiller View Post
So I have been reading up on insulation and I have a question:

If foam board Insulation has an R value in the 3-6 range per inch and blown foam has a slightly higher R value, has anyone found something with a higher R Value?

I found this insulation (which if I can believe all they say about it sounds ideal) which a much higher R value (15-17) for a much thinner material (5mm) and is specifically designed to be applied to metal walls and roofs (still unsure about using it as flooring). I would think the higher R value would make for a better insulation. While the cost is a bit high, it is not insane (especially to make the R value of my walls and floors 2-3 times higher) and would curve around the roof without having to cut and losing some R value there. It would also be a much easier application than traditional board or blown insulation.

Prodex ( https://www.insulation4less.com/default.aspx )

Does anyone have experience working with it? It looks like reflectix with foam insulation instead of air bubbles between the layers.
I just sent an email asking for a quote on Prodex Total 10M Plus: R22 - haven't heard back yet
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...ed-bubble-wrap
Quite a few poor reviews on Amazon too.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Question

Looks like a good product. Correct me if my numbers are wrong, but this stuff is a bunch cheaper comparing R value to Square footage. This is $305 for 700sf, or $.43/sf. Poles runs about $10 precept, or $.31/sf, But you would need 3 layers of 1/2" polyiso to compare to the R value of the Prodex, making the Polyiso cost $.93/sf. A 50% savings I my book. I'm waiting on a reply back from them on what the Rvalue is if you double up this material? This might be a winner.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

@peakbus: This insulation is not like that which you posted. What you posted has air bubbles between the layers of foil. this does not it has actual insulation between the layers.

Having fully read your article, I have some concerns with how it addresses Prodex specifically - as it does not support what it says about it - and places it in the category with the bubble wrap which it is not exactly, however I can see where the concern is and I want a good insulation so I will likely look at a different material.
lee.wissmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I just sent an email asking for a quote on Prodex Total 10M Plus: R22 - haven't heard back yet
The price of their products is listed on each product page. $214 for a 4' x 85.3'.
Even this sounds like a steal. $.66/sf as opposed to 5 layers of 1/2", which wouldn't fit the space at $1.55/sf
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...ed-bubble-wrap
Quite a few poor reviews on Amazon too.
The Prodex is a foil backed FOAM material, not bubblewrap. Bubble wrap is what they use for comparison.
They have 182 reviews listed for the product. 171 of them are 5 star positive.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.wissmiller View Post
@peakbus: This insulation is not like that which you posted. What you posted has air bubbles between the layers of foil. this does not it has actual insulation between the layers.

Having fully read your article, I have some concerns with how it addresses Prodex specifically - as it does not support what it says about it - and places it in the category with the bubble wrap which it is not exactly, however I can see where the concern is and I want a good insulation so I will likely look at a different material.
The Prodex material specified in that article is not the same product. Can anyone find any negative reviews on this.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Looks like closed cell foam with mylar?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
There's some pretty informative comments over at Garage Journal

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57607
Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
There's some pretty informative comments over at Garage Journal

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ad.php?t=57607
Yeah some great comments.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
I bought some bubble wrap with foil on both sides one time - my idea was to use it as skirting for our camper trailer - in minus 35 c weather it was next to useless - we had to wear everything but our parkas inside the trailer - 100 degree snowpak boots, warm up pants, layers of clothing on top and gloves if you weren't eating - our short coated pet dog hovered over the furnace vent and his slouch put me in mind of a vulture over it's prey - when I scrounged some straw bales and set them around the bottom of the trailer and sealed it off with some 4 mil plastic, we were much warmer - the foil wrapped bubble wrap wasn't worth the effort it took to make skirting
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I didn't mean to imply this was similar to Reflectix, just that their claims seemed a tad unrealistic. Having looked at reflective barriers before, it seems that to reap the benefits, the material has to be installed in a way that would be challenging to guarantee in a skoolie build: Air gap on the reflective sides, sealed around everything, etc..
Selling a revolutionary new product is always going to be an uphill battle against established products, but I would have to see side-by-side accurate comparisons between that and, say, spray-foam before spending hours and hundreds of $$ enclosing into a beautiful ceiling.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: International - AmTran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DTA 360
Rated Cap: 25,500 lbs
Just jumping in here with my 2.25 cents.
I am still considering the insulation from tractorinteriors.com they offer bulk material from 1/4" to 2" thick with or without laminated vinyl and even a "heat barrier" with alumized mylar for engine bulkheads & doghouses.

My only concern is how long it will stay glued to the ceiling or will I have to apply thin strips of bracing to help support it.
Really don't want to drill out rivets to remove the inner ceiling skin. BUT in all likelihood that would produce the end result I want. Uggh.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsComfortBus View Post
Just jumping in here with my 2.25 cents.
I am still considering the insulation from tractorinteriors.com they offer bulk material from 1/4" to 2" thick with or without laminated vinyl and even a "heat barrier" with alumized mylar for engine bulkheads & doghouses.

My only concern is how long it will stay glued to the ceiling or will I have to apply thin strips of bracing to help support it.
Really don't want to drill out rivets to remove the inner ceiling skin. BUT in all likelihood that would produce the end result I want. Uggh.
What will you have for a ceiling? How is that ceiling secured to the bus? Won't any finish cover hod the insulation place, it doesn't need to stay glued.
I just realized you had planned on gluing this product to the bottom of the ceiling metal? What were your plans for covering it?
Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #16
Skoolie

It has some nice choices of vinyl colors including one that has a swirly flower pattern on a brown back ground. Same perforated vinyl as was used on car headliners years ago.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #17

Year: 1994
Chassis: Vandura
Engine: 5.7 GMC
Rated Cap: 30
Does foil even work?

So I’m also looking at insulation types and wondering if higher R values for foil backed poly foam boards take into account applications with zero air flow. Don’t radiant foil barriers need air flow to work?
If so, foam board or even bubble wraps with a foil backing could be misleading if we don’t get foil related R value when sealed up in a floor/ wall/ ceiling...
Twisminion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Sorry to rain on your parade but Im skeptical of the high R value claims. The literature I’ve read about reflective insulation say for the radiant barrier to work effectively an air gap is required by installing furring strips. I’ve read 3/4” gap is better than 1/2”. Now if one wants to keep heat out and heat in does that mean having gaps on both sides of the reflective surface. Boy howdy, that’s a lot of strips and work.
I kinda like it when the sun heats up the side of my bus and dries out the condensation. I wish I could put a down parka on it when the snow starts. I’ve not found insulation I like yet for my bus. However I’d like to try low infrared heaters on the ceiling so I don’t need to insulate as much. Has anyone tried heating panels? Sorry, subject for another thread.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsComfortBus View Post
It has some nice choices of vinyl colors including one that has a swirly flower pattern on a brown back ground. Same perforated vinyl as was used on car headliners years ago.
Gotcha, any pics of this material.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
Skoolie

Yes, on the website, menu and choose (bulk material) then choose a thickness to see color options.

Tags
insulation, prodex