Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 04:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Purchasing Advice.... engine rebuilt

I've been an avid reader on here for a while so I want to begin by thanking everyone for the advice they've already unknowingly given me and all the advice they're going to give me in the future! Here's my situation:

I'm going to look at a bus next week. It's an International Amtran, I've never heard of Amtran I'm assuming it not really different from any other body? I'm planning on putting a roof deck on it, that's the reason for this question.

It has a DT466E motor and an Alison Trani. From my research this is an excellent combo. I'm going to heavily insulate the bus and then use it to transport myself through the mountains this winter to snowboard all North America. It should hold up to that well, oui?

The real question is with the engine. It was rebuilt and has about 1000 miles on it. The guy who is selling it wasn't the one who had the rebuild done, it was the previous owner. The current owner does have all the receipts for the rebuild and also says some part of the front end was rebuilt. Is there anything I should specifically look out for with a rebuilt engine? Should this be more of a concern than a positive?

The vehicle is a bit out of my price range however with a brand new engine and the extra conversion elements that have already been added to it then I believe it's worth the extra cash for the longevity and the conversion elements.

Welshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshie View Post
I've been an avid reader on here for a while so I want to begin by thanking everyone for the advice they've already unknowingly given me and all the advice they're going to give me in the future! Here's my situation:

I'm going to look at a bus next week. It's an International Amtran, I've never heard of Amtran I'm assuming it not really different from any other body? I'm planning on putting a roof deck on it, that's the reason for this question.

It has a DT466E motor and an Alison Trani. From my research this is an excellent combo. I'm going to heavily insulate the bus and then use it to transport myself through the mountains this winter to snowboard all North America. It should hold up to that well, oui?

The real question is with the engine. It was rebuilt and has about 1000 miles on it. The guy who is selling it wasn't the one who had the rebuild done, it was the previous owner. The current owner does have all the receipts for the rebuild and also says some part of the front end was rebuilt. Is there anything I should specifically look out for with a rebuilt engine? Should this be more of a concern than a positive?

The vehicle is a bit out of my price range however with a brand new engine and the extra conversion elements that have already been added to it then I believe it's worth the extra cash for the longevity and the conversion elements.
My spidy senses start tingling when a vehicle with a brand new rebuild changes hands once never mind twice. That's a definite independant mechanical inspection before purchase.
Go forth carefully.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
AmTran = American Transportation Corporation = Navistar = International = IC = IC Bus. This company has rebranded itself an insane number of times.

In other words, there's no such bus as an "International AmTran" - both words are names for the company.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
My spidy senses start tingling when a vehicle with a brand new rebuild changes hands once never mind twice. That's a definite independant mechanical inspection before purchase.
Go forth carefully.
I agree. I think that alone would scare me away from the purchase
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
rebuilt engine

test drive one hour long.... no test drive price drops. cold start on engine when you inspect it. tires -- build date on the tires must be five years or less for an expensive price..... I have seen too many crappy repair work to give a damn about a stack of reciepits. treat with skepticism.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote