Old 08-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

Putting windows back in after roof raise?

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right forum for this question.

We are currently in the process of skinning our bus post-raise and are talking about window options. My partner really likes the idea of RV windows, but for me there is something charming about the original bus windows. I realize we probably should have figured this out before we began skinning the bus

I don't really like the look of RV windows and would prefer something that feels bigger and brighter, hence liking the originals more. So, are there other options besides RV windows or the original windows? How bad of an idea is it to put the original windows back in?

Any help appreciated, thanks! Total newb here...
lemureyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
Welcome to the forum

Bus windows tend to be very leaky and drafty and are extremely poor at thermal management.

I happen to dislike the look of RV windows myself.

I'm personally planning to install regular house style windows in my bus post-roof-raise, with tempered glass, double pane, etc etc. Basically, the best windows I can possibly afford.

With a roof raise, you have the ability to pick out the window sizes you want, and then put in a metal frame to carry load around the window. You can install a wooden frame within the metal frame, and attach the windows to that. House windows assume a traditional 2x4 stud wall, so there needs to be some extra work done to mount that in a thin bus wall, but those problems are easily addressed.

I personally recommend that you stick with a safety or tempered glass. Here in Virginia, it's a legal requirement, but I don't know if it is where you live.

If you do put back your original bus windows, then you'll want to try to duplicate the original framing as much as possible, and do your best to eliminate any leak potential.

You should start a build thread and document your work, and share pics! We love reading about conversion projects here and seeing the progress.

Good luck,
Jim

Tags
roof raise, rv windows, windows