Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Question about rear bed position

I thought about this over and over for a few months myself. With a front engine bus the solution I came up with was a bunk on each side of the aisle in the back bedroom. Which will leave the center aisle of the bus open from the front stairwell to the back door and the back door clear when needed. I plan to add a small ledger onto the aisle-side of each bunk that will support a piece of plywood that will set down onto the ledgers on both sides. Thus providing a nice large bed in the back for use when I don't mind the rear door being mostly blocked. My wife and I could still readily open the back door and move outside if needed. When not in use the extra sheet of plywood will be stored under the mattress of one of the bunks and the extra mattress pad could be stored on another of the racks (bunk beds) or back bunks as well.

Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Bus Nut

During my initial search phase, I had made some rough idea's on what I'd do if I had a front engine bus with a rear E-Door on it. My plan was wall the rear area off about 18-24" from the end of the bus, and use the back end with the door as a "Garage Storage" area... I'd probaby have made some kind of trap door in the wall so I could Emergency exit out the back still...that was if I couldn't find one with a side door too.

Since I wound up with a transit style bus that became a moot point, but then I had to build cargo storage underneath, the rear door would have been easier!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1990
Coachwork: BLUEBIRD
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I had my queen size bed attached to the left wall with a small aisle on the right. I have taken it off and cut it in half and reframed it with hinges in the center. It will attach back to the left wall with more hinges so it can fold up flush to the wall/windows and bungee cord out of the way for motorcycles or big loads to burning man. I plan to find a foam mattress that I can cut in half at some point and use it half folded as a coach.

When I get it done this weekend I will try to take a few pictures and post on my conversion thread here.
Xtevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1968
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: B602
Rated Cap: 58
Send a message via AIM to James P Send a message via MSN to James P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtevan
I had my queen size bed attached to the left wall with a small aisle on the right. I have taken it off and cut it in half and reframed it with hinges in the center. It will attach back to the left wall with more hinges so it can fold up flush to the wall/windows and bungee cord out of the way for motorcycles or big loads to burning man. I plan to find a foam mattress that I can cut in half at some point and use it half folded as a coach.

When I get it done this weekend I will try to take a few pictures and post on my conversion thread here.

Damn i love that idea! I might just have to use it!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

I kept the rear side door (was a wheelchair door) accessible with the plan of using it as a part time entry/exit...but honestly it just doesn't happen. The opening is only about 4' high, so regular use would require wearing a helmet. I only keep it accessible and functional as an emergency exit.

Sean