Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
This is the underside whith the front and rear bolts/nuts for the driver seat. These bolts hold the mounting plate down through the flooring.

Attachment 42062

The seat attaches to the mounting plate. This is the old seatplaced behing the original for a passenger. You can see the mounting plate and the bolts.

Attachment 42063

Sice my wife wanted a shoulder harness, I fabricated and mounted this bracket to the ceiling.

Attachment 42064
Cool, thanks for posting these.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
The free one I got has all the features you mentioned except for swivel which I can add for 20 bucks using a swivel kit that Northern Tool sells.
Don't get me wrong here. I love bargains. I am happy you were able to get a bargain. However, there are times when spending a few bucks on the top-of-the-line items can make the travel experience better. that is the case for US ...not necessarily the case for others.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Cool, thanks for posting these.
You are welcome. Should yo need other pictures, be sure to let me know.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #44
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: fs65
Engine: 7.2 catapillar 3126
Rated Cap: 41 students
Great photos. Gave me several ideas. Thanks for sharing native
Old 03-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Don't get me wrong here. I love bargains. I am happy you were able to get a bargain. However, there are times when spending a few bucks on the top-of-the-line items can make the travel experience better. that is the case for US ...not necessarily the case for others.
Everyone knows I LOVE a bargain.
But sometimes I do enjoy getting a nice brand new whatever.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Hi native.. Did not see the swivel feature in the legacy seat...is that an option? Is it implemented between the airride scissor and the seat it self or between the floor and the whole unit. Do you have a detail pic of that feature?

I want to convert my small bus front seat to air and swivel and did not know this was available.

Thanks Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:44 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Hi native.. Did not see the swivel feature in the legacy seat...is that an option? Is it implemented between the airride scissor and the seat it self or between the floor and the whole unit. Do you have a detail pic of that feature?

I want to convert my small bus front seat to air and swivel and did not know this was available.

Thanks Johan
Johan,

It is an option that can be ordered with the seats. Looking at it, it could easily be added in after the fact. It is added between the air ride and the seat. I do have a picture, it will take me afew minutes to dredge it up.

Edit: Here is the swivel base right under the seat's forward/back adjustment track.

20190902_155556 Seat Swivel.jpg
Old 03-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepudo View Post
Great photos. Gave me several ideas. Thanks for sharing native
You are welcome. I did not mention that since we wanted the navigator seat as far forward wihtout getting in the way of the stairwell, I added some 3/16" plate to the floor edge at the back of the top edge of the stairwell.

20180719_155345 Stairwell Seat Extension - Top.jpg

The two front bolts that hold the mounting bracket to the floor go through the stairwell floor extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180719_155329 Stairwell Seat Extension - Long.jpg (194.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #49
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Thanks for the swivel photo, was wondering where the pro would put it. I figured it would be more stable between the seat and the air spring. Happy to see that the pro people did it that way. See if I can rig something up like that.

Thank you,
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Thanks for the swivel photo, was wondering where the pro would put it. I figured it would be more stable between the seat and the air spring. Happy to see that the pro people did it that way. See if I can rig something up like that.

Thank you,
Johan
You are welcome

I am sure you can handle it just fine.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:26 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
swivel and removable

so... first I used the front seats from a chevrolet pickup truck.... the have built in seat belts... so as long as the seat is well mounted.... the person is retained by the belts in the seat.... 2004-2007 chevrolet pickups... they recline, they have an arm rest on one side.... cloth is what i chose.. i dont like plastic/leather seats.

next up... from the second row of a lot of full size conversion vans... the seat bases swivel, and they can be removed! so if you have the base part in more than one location on the bus... you can remove the seat and clip it in at a different spot.... many different kinds...

I paid about $125 for each of the pickup seats... the cloth and cushions in very good condition.... I chose charcoal grey for mine.....

seat bases at the local salvage yard are around $50 if I pull them out my self.

I did like the air ride seat guys did for my front two seats... fixed bases that swivel... they came out of motor homes from a motor home salvage yard. paid $35 for each base there.

I have seating for 11 in my bus.. six kids, two adults most of the time.... gives us spaces for friends that want to come along. Alll seats have built in seat belts all bench seats and two of the single seats are removeable. all seats are cloth, all seats recline... bench seat recline like air plane seats do.. not a lot but some. two of the singles and all of the bench seats have places to latch in baby seats. the bench seats are from 2017/2018 ford transit vans.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Nice passenger hauler you have there! So it went from a bus to a bus.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:49 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
so... first I used the front seats from a chevrolet pickup truck.... the have built in seat belts... so as long as the seat is well mounted.... the person is retained by the belts in the seat.... 2004-2007 chevrolet pickups... they recline, they have an arm rest on one side.... cloth is what i chose.. i dont like plastic/leather seats.

next up... from the second row of a lot of full size conversion vans... the seat bases swivel, and they can be removed! so if you have the base part in more than one location on the bus... you can remove the seat and clip it in at a different spot.... many different kinds...

I paid about $125 for each of the pickup seats... the cloth and cushions in very good condition.... I chose charcoal grey for mine.....

I did like the air ride seat guys did for my front two seats... fixed bases that swivel... they came out of motor homes from a motor home salvage yard. paid $35 for each base there.

I have seating for 11 in my bus.. six kids, two adults most of the time.... gives us spaces for friends that want to come along. Alll seats have built in seat belts all bench seats and two of the single seats are removeable. all seats are cloth, all seats recline... bench seat recline like air plane seats do.. not a lot but some. two of the singles and all of the bench seats have places to latch in baby seats. the bench seats are from 2017/2018 ford transit vans.

william
I have looked at some of the seats with integrated shoulder belts such as the Toyota Sienna seats, as this seems like it would be a good thing. I need to look at how the Sienna seats mount. We have an Odyssey with removable seats, but they sort of latch into horizontal bars in the floor. I also found some air ride seats with integrated seat belts that run around $1500.00 each if you can even find them. Yeah...no.

Also found some folding seats that are higher backed than some I've seen. The back folds down across the seat flat, but the whole seat doesn't fold flat-ish against the wall like the other Freedman seats I was looking at.

My goal at this point is to have seating for 10 (it was 9 before the carsickness discussion). Two up front, then two rows of double seats, preferably high back of some sort. We have two small kids, one in a car seat, and one in a car seat that acts as just a booster but provides a little more protection against side impacts. I like the idea of each kid having their own double seat to themselves, with the ability to have an organizer filled with stuff beside them. Then, in a pinch, we could more than double our people carrying capacity.

Thank you to everyone on here for their input and the overall discussion. It has occurred to me that it would be much easier if I had an actual bus here to look at and ponder on. It looks like it's likely to be next year before that happens because of priorities. It's killing me because I've found a couple of very good candidates. Still...always looking!
TakinCareOfBusness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #54
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm putting a Ford transit van double-seat in my bus: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post351880. Definitely not as comfortable as an air ride bucket seat, but cheap ($200 although that was a really good deal and I picked it up on CL so no additional shipping), easy to install (two brackets that just bolt to the floor), integrated shoulder belts, removable (you could get extra brackets and set them up so that the seats can be moved around for parked seating), and very narrow at 31" wide.

The seat is actually fairly comfortable for one adult - two adults side-by-side would be pretty crammed for any long-distance driving.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post

william
Are you using the Silverado p'up seats for the driver seat?
How do you like the Siverado seats?

They've been high on my list of "integrated shoulder-belt seats" I know I can get for cheap (pick n'pull yards) and they have electric heat built in!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
I used a rear seat from a 2003 Chevy Tahoe (or trailbazer, can't remember)

I built a platform out of round and square stock.

It folds up into the window and allows full access to the stairwell.

Cost was $30 for the seat from the scrappy.

rest was just welding... It attaches to the bus with all grade 8 hardware... 14 points of "contact" and is not going anywhere. Including bolted through good "meat" underneath (anchor points are through the beams below)

The first mockup with wood

Some more of the fabrication

Folded up

This is how much space it takes when folded... plenty of room

When deployed the two pieces slide out and the seat locks down.
We can fold the seat up and get in and out with ease... when we park for longer periods I slide the two pieces in and more room to walk in and out.

All the pics I have at the moment, but it is finished and installed... had a friend powder coat it black for me

Cheers
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolesvilleMarina View Post
I used a rear seat from a 2003 Chevy Tahoe (or trailbazer, can't remember)

I built a platform out of round and square stock.

It folds up into the window and allows full access to the stairwell.

Cost was $30 for the seat from the scrappy.

rest was just welding... It attaches to the bus with all grade 8 hardware... 14 points of "contact" and is not going anywhere. Including bolted through good "meat" underneath (anchor points are through the beams below)

When deployed the two pieces slide out and the seat locks down.
We can fold the seat up and get in and out with ease... when we park for longer periods I slide the two pieces in and more room to walk in and out.

All the pics I have at the moment, but it is finished and installed... had a friend powder coat it black for me

Cheers
I like that platform idea a lot!

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Great fabrication work and thinking outside the box!
Old 03-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

I tell you, this thread sure has turned out to be full of design ideas.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #60
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs
Quote:
Great fabrication work and thinking outside the box!
Thanks... It was important to have the missus up with me

I like to try and recycle things whenever possible into my builds

cheers
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote