Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Questions about skinning windows

what smitty said
plus if you take the time to make up a drill guide to make all of your rivet spacing the same you will save an amazing amount of time and get a professional looking job. use a quality adhesive/caulk to help minimize noise between the panels and structure.

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid
If yours is like mine i ground off the rivets that hold the outersheeting over the support poles and underneath is a great platform for me to rivet my sheet metal to.

this is what it looked like after i too the outter sheet metal off

MY GOD MAN!! I thought I had a lot of rivets to deal with!!

You're in rivet HELL!!!

What make of bus do you have??

I'm thinking of using 18ga or 20ga sheet to skin my windows. Does anybody have experience with these gauges of metal? Do I get the "oilcan effect"? when using these thicknesses?

I've actually left my windows intact and closed. I'll skin over them on the outside and pink fiberglass insulation covers them on the inside. I didn't want to remove the windows to retain the structural integrity of the shell.
I have used 18 and 20 ga. both work well. though I just liked the thicker 18ga. I think 22 ga. is way to thin. I would take the windows that your going to skin over, out. There is little , if any, structural value there. In my bus, there were only 4 screws holding them in, and the popped right out. You then could put some ridgid insulation in the window area. Those windows have zero r-value.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72

My bad. Didn't realized you were that far along on the inside. Looks good. Continue on and disreguard the rantings of an..........Oh! look at the bird
Old 05-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

You can still insulate those window spaces... just use slow expanding foam (like from the "HandiFoam" cans found in the big box hardware stores). That stuff will fill any gaps and definitely keep anything from rattling. Just a thought.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Turbo D
Rated Cap: 71

I just pulled the windows and reused the screws. I added some self tappers at seems to reduce the distance between screws. If I ever have an issue I can unscrew and repair if required. simple. It is wedged up under the lip at the top, and the seem between the two pieces of sheet matches up with the seem in the body panels.

It doesn't look great yet as the sheet metal is still in primer, but once I get a coat of paint on it and the bus is all one color I think its gonna look pretty clean. Knocked it out in a day. Under $100.

SlowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 54

I blanked out my windows with 20 gauge and it worked fine with no "oil canning" and then backed it with tightly fitted 2" installation.

Den,
Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
I'm thinking about using the inner ceiling panels I just removed to skin my windows with. Not sure what gauge it is, but although it's not as thick as the outer roof skin, I think it's probably stiff enough for the windows. Any suggestions on how to make straight cuts on it? (Pay a fabricator shop to cut it to size??)
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote