Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 07:23 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
racks overall max height

I see lots of schoolies with bikes and hand rails on the roof. What is the highest a person should have this. I don't mean the law i mean common sense do you start running into access problems in areas. I want to do a deck and I'm okay with a folding or put together hand rail. I was thinking I may buy some pontoon furniture and bolt it in. It seems to be going away from my KISS plan and I'm thinking why drag it all through the air and extra weight when i can buy nice folding chairs with drink holders.

Also is there a right way to add a roof rack. I see some shady stuff out there. Whats the best way to build up there. Id like to do a steel frame work and wood 5 1/4" cedar decking to keep the cost and weight down.

I was also thinking of building this in electrical conduit just because its so much lees buying that at the big hardware store than buying it at the steel shop. Most roof racks for cars look like there built from conduit back in the day. Plus its galvanized where its not welded.

let me know how far off I am. On the attachment to the bus roof it seems i should be riveting on a plat that has a tube welded to it fro the rack to sit in(leg) so that the roof wont crack at a weld and it spreads the load out better at the rack to roof connection.

Pictures would really help.

Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Don't know about max height...
But I google image searched "DIY PATIO FURNITURE" and there's some pretty inspirational stuff out there, and a lot of it looks like it could be adapted to fold flat.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'm not saying i wouldn't buy that furniture but if they sent me a sample of the beers it woudl help me decide.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
If you add ANYTHING to the roof, make sure you figure out the height of the vehicle with the new addition, then add 3 inches for safety.

Tractor trailers are 13' 6" tall... underpasses on the interstate have to be at least that high for clearance. Secondary roads is another matter, I've seen underpasses as low as 9 feet which even an unmodified Skoolie could not clear, never mind with additional hardware on top.

As a former trucker I've seen lots of overhead accidents where drivers did not know how tall their vehicle was and tried to take a 13 foot 6 truck under a 12 foot bridge.... needless to say it didn't work too well.

Point to be taken from this... KNOW YOUR VEHICLE HEIGHT AFTER ADDING ANYTHING TO THE ROOF!
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 AM   #5
Bus Nut

12.5ft would work for my needs

13.6ft that's enough to put a hot tub on the roof. Of course you'll need to hold your breath under bridges.

I think I'll just draw up the lightest roof deck I can. I need some weather tight storage I can put some boxes in that are 2ft x 2ft 15ft long. I think I might be able to incorporate this storage box into a coffee/beer table of some sorts down the middle of the roof deck. When your sitting around in deck chairs it should be the right size to set stuff on or put your feet up on.

Make the first couple feet of it angled back on a 45 angel so the wind isn't hammering right into it driving. I'd like to find something that shape or storage boxes I could use so I don't have to build water tight boxes.

If any one has any idea of some type of storage locker that opens from the top or side to keep a seal. Its one of the last pieces I need to avoid having to tow a small trailer instead of a Toad vehicle behind.

Making the deck rails raise and lower wont be a issue.

This puts me in at no more than 12.5ft.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2

good spot for a video
Old 10-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Also...given the normal height of most skoolies, one would be wise to try and keep any roof rack and/or other installations up there as light as possible. Square aluminum tube and lightweight aluminum diamond plate are what I am considering. MUCH lighter than than the typical 2 x 4 and wood planking so often seen. It really doesn't take much to seriously affect handling when the weight is that far up. Anyone who has ever done a "weight and balance" check on an airplane can explain the effects of weight located at the extreme end of a "moment arm".

Be safe folks.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Also...given the normal height of most skoolies, one would be wise to try and keep any roof rack and/or other installations up there as light as possible. Square aluminum tube and lightweight aluminum diamond plate are what I am considering. MUCH lighter than than the typical 2 x 4 and wood planking so often seen. It really doesn't take much to seriously affect handling when the weight is that far up. Anyone who has ever done a "weight and balance" check on an airplane can explain the effects of weight located at the extreme end of a "moment arm".

Be safe folks.
Have you bought a sheet of diamond plate aluminum lately.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
how does this happen, over and over at some point you would think they would install a truck by pass. Thats a tuff bridge
Old 10-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
There are two roads there that overheight vehicles can turn onto... it's just drivers who DON'T KNOW HOW TALL THEIR VEHICLES ARE.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Cool little deck chair I saw this morning out on my journey...
It's 2 pieces and very comfortable! And light weight

Old 10-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

good spot for a video
I was going to post a link to that same website! I love the drivers that stop, check the height, figure they can go, then hit the bridge!
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Anyone who has ever done a "weight and balance" check on an airplane can explain the effects of weight located at the extreme end of a "moment arm".

Be safe folks.
Used to do those at least once a day back when I was flying. In fact I probably have a few left over in my flight bag. They're a pain in the ass but VERY important... Also if you want light weight quality in a deck chair check out the folks over at the Kermit Chair Company. They're a little pricey but they're the lightest comfiest chairs I've ever seen and they're made to pack on a motorcycle so they take up almost no space can take up to 350lbs of fatness and have a 5 year warranty.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Roger that.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
. . . Square aluminum tube and lightweight aluminum diamond plate are what I am considering. MUCH lighter than than the typical 2 x 4 and wood planking so often seen . . .
Aluminum isn't cheap. Diamond plate isn't exactly light, either - and being solid, has the potential for pooling water. Have you considered the "catwalk" type of material, which I believe comes either in aluminum or galvanized?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #16
Bus Geek

I am looking at creating 12" wide "planking" from 8' sheets with about 1/4" spacing in between. A 4 x 8 sheet of 3/16" (0.188") aluminum weighs 96 pounds. An 8 x 8 rack would weigh out a little over 200 pounds total.

The other option I am considering is composite decking. Some is actually a bit heavier than wood but there are a couple that are the same, plus no need to finish/re-finish, UV resistant, waterproof and one (ChoiceDek)that comes with a lifetime guarantee. Combined with aluminum supports it should save a few pounds and a lot of maintenance.

A couple of hundred pounds won't be that big an issue. It's the massive mongo timber, 1,000+ pound constructions I so often see on Skoolies that concern me. And unless the wood is properly treated & weatherproofed...a rain shower could possibly add another half-ton to the total.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Why not just use 5 1/4" cedar decking? it seems so light weight and seal it with a deck coating. Or am i thinking of something else i though a lot of decks were made from this stuff. I could have swore i had a cabana that was completely from this material for a hot tub.
The real issue to not install timbers like we have all seen is to build a good steel structure underneath with out giant spacing so the wood sags under weight.
I'm going to google up some deck building and see what 5 1/4" (we called it five quarter) just ab it larger than a 1"x4" but in cedar around here. I wonder what the spand is when using it so its not flimsy?
I feel like it would take that big think deck look away that turns me off for some reason when i see buses with what looks like a portable bridge for the Camel Discovery races.