Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Raising the roof... why flat instead of sloped?

This may seem a very silly question, but... why do most folks raise the roof? I mean, beyond the obvious lack of headroom for people with busses that once carried kids, is there another reason? Does it really make that much difference in the livability?

For those that have raised the roof, how come you did everything the same height? If you're going through all the trouble of modifying the top, why not modify it to your advantage and make it a little more aerodynamic? After all, if you have sleeping quarters in the rear, then you won't need as much headroom to just lay down. I would think that by raising the front by a foot, but leaving the rear the same height, the difference is bound to help mpg just a little. Especially if you "roll" the front instead of leaving it flat to slam into the wind (I'm thinking of the big 18 wheeler trucks that use a similar wind diverter on their cabs for proven mpg improvement).

Has anyone tried this approach before? Did you notice a change in your mpg for better or worse?

I had images to illustrate what I'm trying to ask, but can't figure out how to make them show up. I'll figure it out when I'm not quite so tired...

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Raising the roof... why flat instead of sloped?

if you go to the member list and find trx look up his website and check out his roof conversion, it's different than a roof raise.
also check out ladyfranklin's blog another real interesting roof conversion
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Looked at both trx and lady franklin blogs. wow
trx bus is awesome, but the work he's done on his bus is waaaaay more than I was imagining.
And Lady Franklin? Woah. Again waaaaay more than I expected. Don't know if I'd have the nerve to go up quite that high.

I still can't figure out how to load an image, but did join the gallery. An image of what I've been thinking of doing is at this link:
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...e2_sm.jpg.html

It's a bit simplistic, but I'm all about keeping things simple.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Interesting idea. Only thing that occurs to me is that your sleeping/dressing area is the lowest point, and is the point you are most likely to extend your arms fully over your head while putting on your shirt. A real knuckle buster.

Anyway, going up higher or not is a personal decision. Basically, once you are lifting, it takes almost as much energy to go 3" as it does to go 36".

When I do my roof raise, I'm shooting for 36" of raise. Maybe even a full 42" to take it to the limit of 13'6". I also hope to do the front forehead as a sloped/curved section to reduce drag. I hadn't thought about curving the rear as well, but I might. I don't know how I'll do it yet, but I'm certainly gonna give it a good try.

The best thing about doing a bus conversion is that there's not much in the way of the "wrong" way. There's just your way and everyone else's way.

jump in and have fun. that's the important thing. do the conversion the way you want.

welcome to the insanity!
jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Bus Nut

tygercub;

it looks like a ups delivery truck to me, they have used that big forehead tapering back design for years because it's aero correct.

I have to agree with big raise thought process, the work is in cutting it apart and puting it back together, if your going up go way up for maximum room.
lady franklins tutorial on tapering the leading edge of the roof is excelent, make cardboard templets to fit and then commit to metal.
now that your creative juices are flowing go read all thirty something pages of the millicent chronicles, elliot has done an excellent job on his roof raise with lots of documentation and discussion.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote