Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Random question on explaining bus conversion

I'm currently working to find a professional to help me convert my eventual bus to a nonprofit bookstore. (I've reached out to the professionals others have mentioned in earlier threads).

Someone asked me today if it's like redoing a basement. So now I'm curious myself. Is it like redoing a basement? Any similarities? Major differences?

BookBusVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
For myself, converting the bus interior was mostly a woodworking project with some electrical and plumbing thrown in. Your bookmobile will likely be mostly shelving and possibly some sitting space. With a short bus bookmobile you probably won't have need for or space for a bathroom.

Bolting bookshelves to the steel body is pretty easy but you'll need shelving that can stand some bumpin' and bangin' when driving down the road. You definitely don't want a half ton of books coming at you during a panic stop.

It could be as easy as caulking the windows closed and adding in the shelving or as complicated as doing a window delete and a custom paint job. It all depends on your needs and funding.