Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Rated Cap: 84
RE buses and defrosters

For those of you that have taken out your under seat heaters and coolant lines on the inside of your RE bus, What do you do for a defroster? I thought about running the coolant lines under the bus from back to front. But man that is a lot of line and work for just some warm air on the windshield. If I do that I might as well reinstall my heaters for free heat while driving.

Chad

tfdfyrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Re: RE buses and defrosters

There is always the electric heater option (big ones, not the $10 "ceramic heaters), but that's a big power draw and you're either running coolant lines or big fat wires and relays.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Yep, stay away from the little electric window heater/defrosters from JC whitney and such. They put out little heat and only defrosted a little 1' circle on the window- in Texas. I was so cold one day driving without heat that I put the heater in my jacket and I couldn't feel a difference.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Just how cold is "so cold" to you Texans? I bet the water in Lake Superior that I was swimming in this weekend was colder.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24

Why not just run 2 new hoses up to the defroster?? Simple and effective...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Skoolie

Well that is what I thought about doing. I was going to run them on the under side of the bus and bring them back in up front. I was just curious what others have come up with. I just dont want rubber coolant lines running inside the bus behind furniture and cabinets. If one ever springs a leak....it would really suck. As a replacement for all of that soft rubber hose I was gonna run some 1" copper tubing the length and tie into each end with rubber line.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Just how cold is "so cold" to you Texans? I bet the water in Lake Superior that I was swimming in this weekend was colder.
It was in the lower 30's. They shut towns down when it snows half an inch here. You northerners have more nuts than me when it comes to dealing with the cold (or less, cause of the shrinkage factor), I don't know.
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
It was in the lower 30's. They shut towns down when it snows half an inch here. You northerners have more nuts than me when it comes to dealing with the cold (or less, cause of the shrinkage factor), I don't know.

Thats why you guys live up there and we live down here! Come see us over the next month and see who's crying A couple weeks ago we had a 10 day strech of 100+* temps.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Bus Nut

When I disconnected my rear heater, I just looped a new piece of hose onto the inlet pipe & return pipe (elbows) and clamped them down, the coolant/water now just continues on up front. I had to use a piece about 2' long to prevent it from kinking. It just lays there on the floor of a kitchen cabinet, and I built a false cabinet floor over that so you don't actually see it, and it'll lift right off of there if it ever needs to be serviced...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote