Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
RE Busses without traditional emergency door

Hey there,

As a newbie, I am still poking around and trying to learn about buses.
I noticed that the Rear Engine Buses don't tend to have traditional emergency doors in the back (Some appear to have a popout window back there though). They seems to have small side emergency doors instead. So unless you happen to find one with a large handicap lift door, access seems kind of limited.

In my mental picture of trying to do a conversion, I sort of assumed you would be bringing in all your lumber, fixtures, furniture, etc in through the rear emergency door on a traditional or FE buses.

So if you are trying to get something big into your RE bus, do you have to wrestle it up the stairwell? Or are the small side emergency doors big enough to get most things through them once you eliminate the seats?

How about after your conversion is mostly done? Do most of your floorplans leave those side emergency doors to be opened, and with your interior partially finished, can you get something big through them or do you immediately run into your cabinets or furniture?

In related fantasies, I had an idea about being able to get my motorcycle inside the bus as a way to enjoy my motorcycle when I get to my destination, but it looks like only a few buses have big enough rear emergency doors for all but the smallest bikes, or you have to use a handicap lift door instead, but they aren't always in a place where you could commit the space to a 'garage'.

Anyway, just musing about how you would go about building a RE bus, if getting a couch into it might mean removing the front windshield? Anyway I hope the RE guys can set me straight about how it works in the real world.

Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I think that once you remove the roof, you can fit just about anything in there.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:20 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
On my bus there is an emergency escape window in the rear above the engine room. I'd say it's over 4 feet wide and about 20 inches tall. Sheets of plywood go in easy.

I put a 250 cc motorcycle in the front door when I rode down to buy it, took it out the driver's emergency door to get it out. Not recommended.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote