Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2023, 03:23 AM   #1

Re-doing new rivets

I am putting up skins on a roof raise, and the odd rivet or two didn't go in quite right, so didn't quite make a good seal. I am thinking I have no choice but to take them out with the air chisel and put in a new one. So I tried but the rivets I used (1/4 blind interlocking) widen the hole when they are locked in. So now I can't put in a new rivet there cus the hole is too big.

any suggestions on how to best seal these things up, with something that at least looks like a rivet head so it looks decent? I am thinking some kind of carriage bolt type situation but Im wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem.

I could also just caulk those rivets with something good so it doesn't leak at least, but i would prefer a mechanical seal.

Thank you!

purpdog5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Can't you just put in a new rivet with a washer on the back? I use Chemlink M-1 for everything on earth!
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Look up McMaster you can get small washers meant for rivets. They do have some oversized ones
I had to use them under the windows on mine with no problems. You will probably need someone pushing the washer down. Also the washer will shot off with force if the rivet doesnt grab it correctly
Byrd Scheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:10 AM   #4

thanks for the replies, I think washers will work for this i didn't think of that! these rivets are the type that expand the hole a bit, so they wont be able to seal in that way but at least the head will be tight against the sheet metal.
thank you!
purpdog5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
Rivets

Look at a company called Aircraft Spruce. It is very common with metal airplanes to have the same problem with hole size and bad rivets. You should be able to find a river just a smidge larger.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 11:25 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
in the past i had bad experience with rivets they leak or get loose over time si i went with carrage bolts . a bit of locktite on the nut and sealer in the hole under the head. been 4 years since my raise and no issues or leaks with the thousand i used
Attached Thumbnails
018 (2).jpg  
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rivet, rivets, skins