Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Re-framing bus windows plastic composite

Another project within a project!

I just pulled my first window. I really want to reverse the windows as I have seen someone else do. When I'm sitting I want to be able to open the window and have the breeze at head level... not above me. Also it affords a small screen on the outside to keep out the bugs. Unfortunately, the aluminum extrusions used on these windows are not suitable for this adaptation. Bother!

I cannot afford to replace all of my windows with nice new double-pane windows. I'll be over budget anyway.

So, I'm looking at these crusty frames with the rubber seals rotted away and wondering what to do and I remember this composite plastic at Home Depot. It's white and comes in long lengths of various shapes. Things like exterior door molding and 1x4's, fives and sixes. The stuff is a white composite plastic material throughout and is supposed to be impervious to rot. It cuts like butter on a table saw and won't shrink (to any degree worth worrying about).

Now I might not be well setup to play with rivets and sheet metal but baby I have the stuff for wood! I'm thinking about getting a few lengths of this plastic stuff and ripping it to size and shape to replace the extruded frames on my Windows. I might even put in the grooves for screen. I could maybe add a third channel for inserting the metal catches the the window uses for various open positions.

I have a short bus with only 12 windows. I can see setting up to cut all of the frames on my table and miter saw in a couple of hours (ok double that). I would ditch the rubber seals and just make a nice slip fit ( not too loose) for the window that opens. Maybe put a groove in the bottom frame piece to hold a nice foam rubber seal.

Please share your thoughts.

Ross

rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote