Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: 50's series Detroit
RE road dirt in bedroom

So I have a Gillig transit RE. While removing the rear flooring and wall carpet(?) a TON of road dirt came down with it. It was in every crevice. Only in the back, where my bedroom will be. The only opening back there is the vent (intake?). If I could figure out how to open the vent (it has hinges so I know it opens) I could rig up a filter maybe? Does anyone else have a similar setup and have you have issues with road dirt inside?
Attached Thumbnails
A2A377DA-8353-4CE0-8515-BA7BEFDE1F47.jpg  

beachtomountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:09 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I wonder how much of that road dirt is simply dirt and dust sucked through the windows and service door and off of passenger feet/clothes during normal operation. The air vent will draw air from the inside of the bus and with it all the particles in the air. It makes the inside of the bus and in particular the back end a huge air filter.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: 50's series Detroit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I wonder how much of that road dirt is simply dirt and dust sucked through the windows and service door and off of passenger feet/clothes during normal operation. The air vent will draw air from the inside of the bus and with it all the particles in the air. It makes the inside of the bus and in particular the back end a huge air filter.
I wondered that myself but it’s very very fine gray dust. It matches perfectly with the road dust that’s also built up in the battery compartment underneath and a few other places under or outside. The middle and front of the bus on the inside don’t have any of this stuff anywhere. It’s definitely asphalt, not natural dirt.
beachtomountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Then I would suspect a hole somewhere forward of the vent.

Is there any pattern to the dust distribution? This may provide clues as to the source.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Yeah. I had that. But mine is school bus. The rear lights didn’t leak water but somehow dirt was forced in from underneath. I deleted the lights and foamed everything back there. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	45999
When I drive down a dirt road you wouldn’t believe how much dust is kicked up from the radiator fan. Then you have your exhaust. And since your rig has the aerodynamics of a brick, the turbulent air back there is amazing. You have a small hole/crack somewhere. Maybe spray that back wall w that stuff that you can make a boat out of a screen door. [emoji54][emoji2]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote