Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison MD3060
Re-sealing around windows WITHOUT pulling the windows

Hi all, I've seen a lot of discussion about pulling the windows and re-doing all the window seals, but that is out of the scope of work for my particular timeframe, and I also don't see it as a necessity. My leaks seem to revolve around the factory sealant shrinking or just plain disappearing from various metal seams, primarily around the windows as shown below.

Given that, can I just get some 3M seam seal and apply it over the existing sealant? Should I make a best effort at removing the existing sealant first? It looks like I might be able to chip out the majority but I don't think I can get it 100% clean.

I searched on this topic but couldn't find much specific advice beyond "pull out all the windows", I'm guessing there's a middle ground option here somewhere.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-07-28 16-39-45 3808.jpg (169.4 KB, 23 views)

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think the advantage with pulling the windows out for re-sealing is that if done correctly, you'll have the sealant "pinched" between the windows and the bus frame, so even if the sealant eventually loses its adherent properties, the gap will still be watertight. If you just slop on the goop externally it will still be watertight initially, but over time it may shrink and de-adhere and then you have leaks again.

Pulling the windows out really does not take much time at all. I don't think you're going to gain a whole lot by not doing it.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Pulling the windows out really does not take much time at all. I don't think you're going to gain a whole lot by not doing it.
I havenít researched how to remove the windows. I see 6 or 8 possible screws to remove on the outside, or only 2-4 (?) on the inside.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello db
No screws on the outside to remove. The removal is done from the inside by just removing the two clamps on each rib. Carefully cut the sealant from around the window, lower the the window then gently pull the window in towards you.
As MG has said its actually very easy to pull them and clean them up proper.image.jpg
I was able to strip, clean, paint and reinstall 6 at a time in a day. Us urethane sealant to bed them back in and you're good to go.
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote