Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e
Ready to paint the roof

I'd love some expert opinion. I've seen the thread about white roofs and sawdust, some banter about bus kote, Henry's, solarflex, etc. I'm really looking to get the best for the bucket (heh) and I'd like to know what you guys think is best for the price. I'm also wondering if anyone has an alternative to saw dust, since it is an organic material it will likely break down eventually.

My bus is around 35 feet or so, I'll likely need a 5 gallon tub right? Also...how to apply? Roller? paint gun?

Iheartbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
MY vote would be to buy a gallon of flat white rustoleum. Maybe two.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
MY vote would be to buy a gallon of flat white rustoleum. Maybe two.
Would that give it the cooling effect of something like bus kote or Henry's solarflex? I'd like it to reduce as much heat as possible
Old 07-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartbus View Post
Would that give it the cooling effect of something like bus kote or Henry's solarflex? I'd like it to reduce as much heat as possible
I know painting the roof white makes a HUGE difference. In FL almost every bus I've seen has a white roof.
Couple a nicely painted, non-sticky, non-stucco'd roof with proper insulation and you end up with a nice looking and COOL bus.
Things like BusKote and Reflectix are just expensive semi-placebos in the grand scheme of it all as far as REAL insulation abilities are concerned.
To the folks tempted by the big claims of Reflectix or BK I say skip the marketing hype and stick some mylar to some bubblewrap, or some small media of some sort into some white elastomeric roof paint and save BIG BUCKS for the same things without the marketing and hype.
Heck, for less than what BK costs, I'll paint my roof with actual high quality automotive paint and not have to worry about recoating, yellowing, peeling, or any of that.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid-Bus
Engine: 6.6L Duramax Diesel
I am at this stage, too, but sanding the roof is taking forever. I emailed a picture of the roof to Henry's customer service yesterday and asked if it was absolutely necessary to completely sand the roof in preparation for a coat of Henry's Dura-Brite White elastomeric coating. He said that they recommend the Tropi-cool product, which is $52 a gallon and with about half the actual square footage covering. So...double the price but half the coverage. I'd end up spending four times as much money. I know that others have used Henry's Solar Flex but I wondered if anyone has used the Dura-Brite product. Did you sand the roof completely? Dura-Brite is recommended for metal roofs on Home Depot's website...and my bus has a metal roof so I think it should be fine but I just wondered if anybody else had heard anything on the topic.
AndrewKingPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Skoolie

I wasn't planning on sanding my roof, just cleaning it and painting it. Unless it really matters with their paint I wouldn't see a reason for it.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #7

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid-Bus
Engine: 6.6L Duramax Diesel
Quote:
I wasn't planning on sanding my roof, just cleaning it and painting it. Unless it really matters with their paint I wouldn't see a reason for it.
That's kinda how I feel. What's the point of sanding down the roof...I can understand the rest of the bus but the roof shouldn't require intense sanding, I wouldn't think. I might take a wire wheel to it to scrape it up and give the paint something to grab on to. What do I know though... I responded to Henry's product support just now so I'll wait to see what his thoughts are on using Solar Flex vs Dura-Brite vs Tropi-Cool. The Tropi-Cool is 100% silicone and I guess they kinda make it for RV rooftops but it seems like it refers to the traditional RV...not a school bus. I can't imagine why Dura-Brite couldn't work but I'll get his input and I may end up testing a small area later today to see how it goes.
AndrewKingPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If the original paint is in really good shape you can paint right over it. But....you still need to prep it for adhesion. At the very least, a thorough wipe down with something like Liquid Sandpaper and a scruff pad.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Thankfully, mine came with a white roof. The problem I have will be installing 3 solar panels and keep the hatches and strobe in place.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:51 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
Thankfully, mine came with a white roof. The problem I have will be installing 3 solar panels and keep the hatches and strobe in place.
Why do you want to hang on to the strobe?
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I dunno. Maybe to guide aliens in for a safe landing?
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 PM   #12
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International FE
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84 passengers
Quote:
If you do want to use Bus Kote for your roof I actually have a gallon leftover from doing my roof, never opened. I also have a half gallon of clear coat and some primer left. If you'd be interested in it just send me a private message. I don't want much for it. Rather ship it to someone to put to use than throw it away.
rensch26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Skoolie

Oh thank you! I think my bus is too long for just one gallon though, even with the rustoleum I'll probably have to use two.

I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to find the rustoleum? Amazon seems to have it at a ridiculous price, perhaps I'm not searching correctly.

Also...has there been any test on the effectiveness of gloss white vs flat matte?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh thank you! I think my bus is too long for just one gallon though, even with the rustoleum I'll probably have to use two.

I was wondering if anyone knew the cheapest place to find the rustoleum? Amazon seems to have it at a ridiculous price, perhaps I'm not searching correctly.

Also...has there been any test on the effectiveness of gloss white vs flat matte?
Flat is best for reflective properties.
I get mine at Lowes for $25 a gallon. Ace also has it. Your area may differ.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Flat is best for reflective properties.
I get mine at Lowes for $25 a gallon. Ace also has it. Your area may differ.
Yea they had some "ace" brand that is supposed to be like rustoleum but isn't...I dunno if I trust that.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yea they had some "ace" brand that is supposed to be like rustoleum but isn't...I dunno if I trust that.
Same thing. The Ace stuff is most likely made by the same company. Its as good as Rustoleum. Go for if its what you can find.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: Caterpillar 3126
Rated Cap: 16
Hey Andrew! Did you ever find out if durabrite would work?? I mistakenly bought it rather than the tropicool and can’t find my receipt haha