Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Merbach
Chassis: IH
Engine: DT366
Rated Cap: 74
Rear Bi-fold doors

I *need* to be able to get my rally car into my skoolie. My first *Hauler* had a beaver tailed open rearend. I am wanting the full body this time and originally planned a roll up or roll down door. The I saw the Millicent chronicles and hatched crazy ideas about the stacker/ drive up ramp process. when I stare at my thomas body I cant identify any real structure to the back wall. I am afraid to just start cutting as I am sure there is a frame in there that could be manipulated to accomplish my goal, If I chop it up it is going to be gone so to say.
I searched rear doors a bit and found two skoolie's with rear bi-fold doors.
What is the best way to accomplish this?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3781

Does any one have an opinion good or bad.

mike

Michael Merbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Rear Bi-fold doors

I thought about the box van body idea back when I was looking for a beverage truck to convert. (lower frame)

Every time I kick the box idea around now I find myself wanting to lower the rear of the bus to make getting the car or snowmobiles (stuff) in there.

My latest idea has been to remove the back wall from the drip edge down, fab up a ramp and then skinning it with the old Bus skin. this would have to be a horizontal bi-fold. elliot has a drawing somewhere around page ten-ish
When you look at the it you will see a bus, not a uhaul humping a bus. Are Truck boxes 90" wide?

Mike
Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

I know I am a little late on the response here but I hope the info is relevant. I cut the back of my thomas body and it went pretty good. The back wall is really just a bunch of sheet metal. I cut it out because it was slightly rusty and I was lifting the roof so I figured, what the hey, cut the buggar out then build a new wall entirely.

I also cut the frame out between the frame and lowered it. I guess this doesn't serve much purpose for getting the car lower but I wanted a lower floor and after doing research on cutting and welding the frame the answer I got from the department of transportation up here in Kanata was a resounding DONT DO IT! So instead I just cut out the floor between the frame rails and lowered it to the bottom of the frame. I had to install bracing to hold the exterior walls up though because the floor no longer had the capacity to hold the walls up and I didn't want any sagging. Anyway maybe none of this helps but here are some pics as well.
Attached Thumbnails
100_1716resized.jpg   100_1871resized.jpg  
Attached Images

Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

I mocked up a roll up door. this will work good for cars but I want to still get a truck (lifted scout inside).

I am thinking of a complete new back wall. (I like the ladies look)

Mike
Old 06-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

how bout a roll up door from a moving truck?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote