Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rear engine seats

What is this thing in the middle of these seats? I would like to keep everything the way it is, except this stupid middle thing. What’s underneath that part?
Attached Thumbnails
9AF1D38F-E01C-4C9A-BA7E-B3F9EFDFEF12.jpg  

olivemartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Probably the transmission bell housing. Although I suppose it is possible that only certain engine/transmission combinations need that clearance and instead of having some with and some without they standardized the body to accommodate the largest option. If you can get a look from underneath you might be able to judge whether that bump out is required or not.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
Engine hump

I have the same hump in my bus with a dt466. The head of the engine is slightly in that hump. The dt444 may not have that problem.
skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Interesting responses. I also have a 466 RE. I chose to remove the plastic shroud, to discover the truth, prior to posting my response.

The transmission is directly beneath the access cover, however, no mechanicals intrude upon the space (see pics). Our county transportation service kindly removed the square tube safety cage.

I used a section of wall steel to hand hammer a new cover, which sits flush with the remaining square tube. Currently, a work in progress, with more pics in this album:
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...cture26593.jpg

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Nice solution!
My bus had a "V" metal in the center. I think it was more to keep the kids from sitting in the middle. Figure they'd not have the seatback of the front seat to protect them in a crash. The kid sitting there would slide down the aisle and crack their head somewhere down the line. I know, I know, quite graphic, but thats what I think it was for on my bus
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

This is exactly what I’m hoping to do! Mine is a dt466 also. Thank you for the pics, I’ll check out the rest
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
Nice solution!
My bus had a "V" metal in the center. I think it was more to keep the kids from sitting in the middle. Figure they'd not have the seatback of the front seat to protect them in a crash. The kid sitting there would slide down the aisle and crack their head somewhere down the line. I know, I know, quite graphic, but thats what I think it was for on my bus
That is my belief. Made up in own my head, though. It does seem logical to me, too.

‐-----------

OliveMartini, I used a piece of angle iron, two C-clamps and a ball pein hammer to fold the wall steel. All clamped to a picnic table. Tin snips to cut it. (Paper pattern first). Good luck & post pics.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #8

Year: Not
Chassis: Not Yet
Engine: Not Yet
Had a similar question w/ my rear engine. Thanks
nickagliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

So I got the cover off and here’s what’s underneath. Demac, is this the cage you were talking about? Wondering if that’s a little too close for my skill level to mess with
Attached Thumbnails
F70AFB22-C0CE-49FF-A752-52BA5493F7C7.jpg   0C83847F-07BD-48CB-BFE2-467F3D00CC4D.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivemartini View Post
So I got the cover off and here’s what’s underneath. Demac, is this the cage you were talking about? Wondering if that’s a little too close for my skill level to mess with
That's it (mine was already gone). Our county transportation service removed the cage, at some point, while it was still transporting students. They did a sloppy job, too. I re-cut the remaining tube stubs, to be more flush, using a Lenox, Bi-Metal blade & Sawzall (drop cloth in the hole). Cuts quickly.

While this is surely a safety design, the county felt it was ok for students to be transported this way. I also consulted the NHRA rulebook, concerning driveline loops. Any street car faster than 13.99 (8.59 1/8th) with slicks must have a driveline loop, as well as a helmet. I'm ok with that. Also, not willing to replace the loop that was already removed (presumably to service the tranny) until Freddy D can exceed 13.99 in the 1/4 mile, with slicks.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
That's it (mine was already gone). Our county transportation service removed the cage, at some point, while it was still transporting students. They did a sloppy job, too. I re-cut the remaining tube stubs, to be more flush, using a Lenox, Bi-Metal blade & Sawzall (drop cloth in the hole). Cuts quickly.
Ok. And those flat pieces you cut out as the new cover are far enough away from everything that it won’t cause any issues? Yours looks great, I’d really like to turn that space into a couch
Old 08-04-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivemartini View Post
Ok. And those flat pieces you cut out as the new cover are far enough away from everything that it won’t cause any issues? Yours looks great, I’d really like to turn that space into a couch
There's about five or six inches of clearance above the tranny, at its nearest point, on the horizontal panel. A foot or more on the vertical panel.

We intend to build up the bench 1.5 inches, to be flush, when we insulate and frame this area.

Tags
international, layout, motor, rear engine