Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

Rear heater removal

I've removed my rear heater in my '94 E350 Short bus. I turned off the 2 hose valves under the hood when I cut the lines, and only lost about a quart of coolant from the lines. The question is what to do now? Can I simply leave those valves closed? Or will that disable the front heat too? Or should I just make a loop behind the valve panel under the hood?

lkrasner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 54
All you have to do now is connect the two cut lines together and you can open the valves. This is what most people do so they still have window defrosters/driver heaters.
eethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
Does removing the rear heater effect the cooling of the engine?
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner 66 Pass
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 66
My 90 Thomas uses coolant in the lines and the values don't close 100% so I connected them to a heat exchanger. The exchanger makes it so I can use that heat with bothering the cooling system. I got the heat exchanger (& fittings) on Amazon.
StefN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
sometimes in a van cutaway bus you dont need to connect the heater lines together.. start your bus and turn on the front defrost / heater , set it to hot and see if you get heat... some of them the dash heater still flows even with the valves closed to the rear heaters.. if thats the case then it is still a good idea to cap those lines.. those valves are notorious for leaking a bit at times..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrasner View Post
I've removed my rear heater in my '94 E350 Short bus. I turned off the 2 hose valves under the hood when I cut the lines, and only lost about a quart of coolant from the lines. The question is what to do now? Can I simply leave those valves closed? Or will that disable the front heat too? Or should I just make a loop behind the valve panel under the hood?
I Had three htrs. one at driver seat and two further back. I wanted to keep the one at the driver seat so I just looped the circuit at that htr and cut out the other two.. Works like a champ.