Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Express 3500
Engine: 6.5L diesel GM
Rated Cap: 10,000 lbs
Rear interior wall issue

I posted about this on the short bus forum (since i have a short bus) but i just thought about the fact this may be the same on most if not all busses.

While taking of the panels i got done with everything except the rear wall. It seems that these windows would need to be removed before the panel can be removed since the panel seems to slip in under the rubber seal of the window.

So I’m curious if anyone has advice or tips on what to do? Or what you have done on yours?
Thank you for reading hope to get experienced advice

McGeekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
It stumped me for a second because I forgot what windows you meant because I deleted mine. They do need to come out or you will surely break them trying to get them out. Look at the outside of the rubber window gasket and notice there is a big "O-Ring" surrounding the center of the gasket. Remove it by prying it out with an appropriate tool. Once that O-Ring is out using wood or plastic spoons push the gasket to the inside of the push.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGeekin View Post
I posted about this on the short bus forum (since i have a short bus) but i just thought about the fact this may be the same on most if not all busses.

While taking of the panels i got done with everything except the rear wall. It seems that these windows would need to be removed before the panel can be removed since the panel seems to slip in under the rubber seal of the window.

So I’m curious if anyone has advice or tips on what to do? Or what you have done on yours?
Thank you for reading hope to get experienced advice
Not sure if your bus is different, but I also thought I would have to remove the rear windows in order to get the rear wall panels off, as the panels seemed to go under the window gaskets. But it turns out the rear panels came off without bothering the gaskets at all (I actually had to remove the rear-most side windows to get my rear wall panels off, since the edges of the panels had been bent over into those openings with a hammer before the side windows were pressed in).
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
If you back end is anything like ours, the rubber gasket that holds the windows is as thick as the wall is thick. The gasket slips behind and around both the inside wall and the outside wall.

When was removing the inside panels on our bus, the gasket slipped out from around the inner wall fairly easily. Bear in mind that the inner wall and outer wall function together to press the gasket against the window glass. If you do not have the inner wall in, it will leak when it rains. My temporary solution to this is to roll up a hand towel and stuff it between the horizontal hat channel and the gasket. It still leaks, but just a little and only during a hard rain. Once the wall panel is rebuilt the window will be sealed again.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote