Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: Blue Bird TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 12V
Rated Cap: ??...It's 28' long
Rear Sander Anyone?

Huh. So that's the weird hoses hanging down in front of my rear wheels. Sanders...who knew?

Unfortunately, they look to be an aftermarket thing as there are two VERY LARGE bolts holding up the front of each one running through the cabin floor. I'm removing the cabin floor.

Do I need these? I'm considering removing them as it's just one more thing to take care of and I don't plan on off roading or otherwise driving in areas I'll need sand.

Thanks!

lizzabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Sanders put sand down in front of the drive wheels to add some grit to slippery surfaces as you come to stop. It can also add grit as you go forward on slippery surfaces.

In my experience they are not worth the extra $$$ to either purchase or maintain.

For the same $$$ you can install automatic chains which work better on any slick surface until the snow gets more than a couple of inches deep. At that point you will need standard tire chains to get through.

If you plan on doing a lot of going up into the mountains in the winter to go skiing or snowmobiling I would leave them on, just in case. But if you don't ever plan on going where you know the roads might be icy I would take them off.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
how do they work? where do you put the sand? and how do you turn it on and off?, never seen this before or seen them.
tks
gbstewart
Old 02-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

One that I saw had a hopper inside where salt/sand was shoveled. There was a sliding cable like a manual choke that opened a gravity feed hopper. Not complex at all.

I'd ditch it.

A much better system:

treenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Chassis: Blue Bird TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 12V
Rated Cap: ??...It's 28' long
Whoa!! Now that's cool. Thanks for the video. I've seen those on trucks but didn't know how they worked. Neato!!
lizzabus is offline   Reply With Quote