Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Receiver hitches - how much should I pay?

I just did some initial calling around to get a receiver hitch installed on the bus. The first place said it was a custom job since they would not be able to find a hitch specifically designed for my vehicle. They referred me to a custom hitch and welding shop that quoted me $450! I tried another trailer shop and got the same quote. Is this what I should expect to pay?! Anyone get it done cheaper?

viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Re: Receiver hitches - how much should I pay?

I was give the same "custom job" story by two separate body shops here. The lowest bid I received was $1,400 My trunk compartment is in the rear and the chassis frame is different, but couldn't pay that much. I can't answer your question, but looking forward to seeing if others have succeeded and for a whole lot less.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I wouldn't pay that much cause I will make my own
I think it's high,they are a hitch shop so they buy the material in bulk and have the know how

but I buy steel all day and am a machinists so my views are skeuuuuud

So going with say $100 material and a shop rate of $65 an hour at 5 hours of time...it would be close to a big shop and they have the liabilty to do it correctly

So if you don't have a friend who can do it that price isn't unreasonable since most class 5 hitches will run you $200/$300 for a F450 type bolt on hitch plus atleast $100 to mount it for you.

So I say they are close
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

im in the procces of trying to get a hitch for my blue bird, the frame is 34 in the ford 450 550 should fit,will shave to drill ut holes in the frame, and make a cut out in the bumper. the hitch is about 250 .00 i think i can install it myself

gbstewart
Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: 466DT
Rated Cap: 65

This probably won't help, but I thought I'd show you what I did. A friend of mine junked out a chevy van, which had a hitch on it, that he gave me. Of course, it was way to wide for the bus. So I cut the center cross tube out, and narrowed it there. I sleeved the inside of it with another smaller square tube, then rewelded it back up. I wouldn't try it though, unless you have a good 220v. welder and some practice. The orginal receiver tube had a receiver stuck and permantly rusted in. So I just cut it off too, and rewelded a flat plate on, since I already had the bolt on reciever tube. Needless to say, I don't have much in mine. I know the local welding shop here has really gone up in price in the last couple years. So I would guess that $400-450 range probably isn't that far off if they make and install it. Which really sucks.

Hvbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I forgot to mention this was my quick easy solution for now. I plan to change it. It looks great on the bus. The receiver tube is just under the back bumper. Unfortunately, I have to use a 6" drop reciever in order to use my car trailer. I really don't like using that much drop. I don't have any pictures of it mounted. But I'll try and get a couple tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

I installed the Valley brand adjustable motorhome hitch without issue. Back in 2008 it cost $255 shipped from http://www.hitchcorner.com. Only additional cost was a good quality drill bit.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
I installed the Valley brand adjustable motorhome hitch without issue. Back in 2008 it cost $255 shipped from http://www.hitchcorner.com. Only additional cost was a good quality drill bit.
YES!! Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks Sean. God I love the internet.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Okay, check this out guys: http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-37 ... roduct_top

Just over $100 and free shipping! There are several like this on Amazon. My likely use is to carry a receiver hitch carry basket on which my generator will sit, plus other light items like maybe bicycles. I may also want to tow a small vehicle behind the bus at some point. The most strain I would put on it may be carrying a motorcycle that would weigh close to 500lbs. That would push a class 3 hitch to it's limits. It seems like the adjustable hitches are mainly class 3.

Here is a quick guide for selecting type of hitch: http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm

Anyone have any comments?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
Bus Nut

If that is going to be your primary use then I would keep the hitch up high, like mine is now. I made a little carrier to fit in the reciever of my pickup, for hauling the snowblower around. Our last outing in the bus I used it for carrying the generator. Eventually I'm hoping to fit the generator under the bus, thats when I figured I would relower my hitch just for pulling the car trailer. I like the generator up higher though.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Okay, check this out guys: http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-37 ... roduct_top

Just over $100 and free shipping! There are several like this on Amazon. My likely use is to carry a receiver hitch carry basket on which my generator will sit, plus other light items like maybe bicycles. I may also want to tow a small vehicle behind the bus at some point. The most strain I would put on it may be carrying a motorcycle that would weigh close to 500lbs. That would push a class 3 hitch to it's limits. It seems like the adjustable hitches are mainly class 3.

Here is a quick guide for selecting type of hitch: http://www.hitchesonline.com/hitch_selection.htm

Anyone have any comments?

I think you should get a stronger hitch if you are going to put a motorcycle on it.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 78 Passenger

I checked craigslist for used hitches. I found one that was off of an old chevy truck, and planned to modify it (flip the hangers) to fit the bus frame rails. Turned out the guy also had one that was the right width for me (likely off of a ford). I paid $30 for a solid, rust free, heavy duty hitch, and was able to install it myself. It fits like HvBuzz's hitch, just below the bumper, and with a drop hitch, I was able to tow my friend's camper (trailer) fine.

"What's the matter Col Sanders? Chicken?" -Dark Helmet

lu·di·crous [loo-di-kruhs]
adjective
causing laughter because of absurdity; provoking or deserving derision; ridiculous; laughable

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11840
TheRainbowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote