Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas (37 ft)
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Reciprocating saw

In order for my insurance on my skoolie to kick in, I need to send them a picture with all of the seats out of the bus. But, I need to do that before I can drive it off of the lot. So in order to save time I figured I'd just saw through the legs with a reciprocating saw(rather than unscrew all of them on the lot before I drive it home. And then once it's home I can tackle the screws and get the feet off. But my question is, have any links to any sawa that are reasonably priced and will cut through the legs pretty quickly?

Daybreakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Are you going to have a power cord or do you need to be cordless?

Best tool for that is an angle grinder with some cutoff wheels.

If you are going to be corded then get a corded DeWalt angle grinder. If you’re not corded, to you have cordless tools yet? If
You already have cordless then it’s going to be an angle grinder of whatever brand of battery you already have.

I personally really enjoy Milwaukee M18 tools

Also bring sockets and vice grips.

BTW, if there’s two of you, it might be faster to use a 1/4” impact gun with a 3/8” socket adapter, the appropriate socket, and some channel locks
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
I was able to remove just the seat cushions fairly easily from mine without any tools at all. I did so for the trip home to avoid any possible issues with seating capacity and the lack of a chauffeurs endorsement on my CDL, but my insurance policy did not require it.

I had a commercial for private use policy from progressive and they didn't ask for anything besides the vin.

If this isn't an option, and you have already inspected the seats and are sure that a sawzall is the best option then my recommendation is to get a corded Milwaukee. They are the absolute best sawzalls available and will outlast you and your bus. The older ones are just as good if not better than new and can be found cheap on marketplace/CL.

Make sure there is power available and you have a decent extension cord, and LOTS of extra metal blades. Don't cheap out on these either, Lenox Bi-Metal is a good option.

Edit: I agree that cutoff wheels are probably a better option, and M18 cordless is the way to go there.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
If you have a source of electrical power, just buy any reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight or equivalent.

If you choose to go cordless, get a spare battery so you are never out of charge.

My seats were bolted in, so I didn't have that dilemma. I hear bus seats are a bear to get out.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Are you going to have a power cord or do you need to be cordless?

Best tool for that is an angle grinder with some cutoff wheels.

If you are going to be corded then get a corded DeWalt angle grinder. If you’re not corded, to you have cordless tools yet? If
You already have cordless then it’s going to be an angle grinder of whatever brand of battery you already have.

I personally really enjoy Milwaukee M18 tools

Also bring sockets and vice grips.

BTW, if there’s two of you, it might be faster to use a 1/4” impact gun with a 3/8” socket adapter, the appropriate socket, and some channel locks
I'm not sure what the bus lot has as far as power so I'll either need to get a generator too or go cordless, I assume cordless is the better option out of the two?
Can you show me what an angle grinder with cut off wheels looks like? And also what a 1/4 impact gun with 3/8 socket adapter and ect because I have no idea what that means 😅
Old 05-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
I was able to remove just the seat cushions fairly easily from mine without any tools at all. I did so for the trip home to avoid any possible issues with seating capacity and the lack of a chauffeurs endorsement on my CDL, but my insurance policy did not require it.

I had a commercial for private use policy from progressive and they didn't ask for anything besides the vin.

If this isn't an option, and you have already inspected the seats and are sure that a sawzall is the best option then my recommendation is to get a corded Milwaukee. They are the absolute best sawzalls available and will outlast you and your bus. The older ones are just as good if not better than new and can be found cheap on marketplace/CL.

Make sure there is power available and you have a decent extension cord, and LOTS of extra metal blades. Don't cheap out on these either, Lenox Bi-Metal is a good option.

Edit: I agree that cutoff wheels are probably a better option, and M18 cordless is the way to go there.
I did email my insurance about that but they said that just taking the cushions out isn't enough, I need to fully remove the seats unfortunately. What kind of metal blades will I need? I know there are different types for different mediums
Old 05-28-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Medium Metal blades. Spend the difference & buy Diablo metal carbide blades. Lenox is a close second, if also metal carbide. Milwaukee & Dewalt blades are ok. Common theme, don't buy cheap blades and the work is fast & easy. Use oil or wd40 on the blade. Extra blades can be taken back for a refund.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Medium Metal blades. Spend the difference & buy Diablo metal carbide blades. Lenox is a close second, if also metal carbide. Milwaukee & Dewalt, are ok. Common theme, don't buy cheap blades and the work is fast & easy. Use oil or wd40 on the blade. Extra blades can be taken back for a refund.
Thank you so much!!
Old 05-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
The grinder and Zip disk will work the fastest for what you are trying to do but please have a large fire extinguisher close by as this is the biggest risk of fire next to using a cutting torch. If SHTF you do not have time to go looking for one. The sawzall will work a little slower but with much less risk of fire and much less chance of a grinder kick back or disk breaking and hitting you in the hand or face. Gloves, safety glasses, shield, fire extinguisher.
Play safe out there.
Good luck
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I don’t think you’re going to set anything on fire or else I would have done so

That being said, I’ve almost set stuff on fire before just not using an angle grinder. I usually keep one around.

Hopefully there’s one on the bus
Old 05-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Maybe this will help

https://m.youtube.com
Old 05-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Can you use photoshop?
Old 05-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

���� that's smart but I gotta take em out anyway so I might as well do it off the bat
Old 05-28-2021, 05:19 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I would highly recommend the Milwaukee m18. I have both the band saw the (Watergate version) and the reciprocating saw. Both have been first class.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
One more tip: if you're using a zip wheel or cutting blade on an angle grinder and the shower of sparks is hitting a window, cover that window with something. Otherwise you will get little specks of metal permanently embedded in the glass. Guess how I know this?
Old 05-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Slow is key with a grinder & a cut off wheel. The last thing you want is that wheel exploding on you. I would go the grinder route.

& it is very possible for something to catch fire with the sparks while cutting/grinding. Be mindful of where you throw the sparks, at all times. It will mildly hurt when they hit your skin, long sleeves is just easier. Always place the grinder down, blade up. Do not use a broken or chipped cut off wheel. Throw it away & use the next one.
adriennefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Maybe this will help

https://m.youtube.com
Oh how rude.

Try this one wear safety glasses!

Old 06-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #18

I think your insurance company is being difficult. That really puts you in a bind. Have you tried reaching out to Progressive? They were incredibly easy to deal with and I had a policy in place the same day.
E_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 03:36 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Progressive would not give me the time of day. I got rerouted to them 6 times and Everytime they said they could not help me at all, or some said not until the build was 100% complete. So this with the seats out to me seems alot easier cuz it's all I could get
Old 06-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
In what state, are you seeking insurance? Damon Pritty, State Farm Agent, is a skoolie owner. Fill out the user profile. It helps us help you.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210602-164630_Lite~2.jpg  
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saw legs seats